Chapter 49: Swinging

FRANZ

Should I turn around and run away as fast as I could?

I can feel sweat dripping from my forehead.

Florida suddenly felt like Sahara.

Ashton and Paulene are walking towards me.

I couldn't hear anything else besides the beat of my own heart. I can't even hear the boy's cries over his ice cream.

With every thump of my heart, they take a step closer to me.

Next thing I see is them standing right in front of me, probably wondering how I ended up in this place.

"Wow. How'd you get here?" Ashton asked maliciously.

I tried to come back to my senses and regain composure.

"How else? My car," I answered and gave him my smirk, trying to hide my nervousness.

"Ha! Of course, your car. So, you're alone?" He sneered.

I look at Paulene who also seems so eager to find out how I got here.

"Yes. I love going to funfairs alone. It's actually a surprise to see you here, Ashton. I didn't actually take you as a funfair kind of person." I then paused.

Continuing, I said, "Oh yeah. Both of you are on a date," I snickered.

Paulene bit her lip. A look of worry was painted on her face.

She turned to face Ashton, "I think this is such a great coincidence. Don't you think so, Ash? Why don't we all have fun together?" 

Returning her gaze on me, she continued, "Three people means three times the fun!"

"Pau, come on. You just heard him. He likes going to fairs alone. Let him be." Ashton then faced me and said, "I'm sorry, bro. We'll just pretend we didn't see you here so you can get your privacy and enjoy this fair the way you want it best."

With that, he took Paulene's hand and dragged her with him as he walked towards the end of the line for the Swinging Boat.

I felt a rage building up inside me.

"You clearly like that girl. Look kid, here's your money. Give it to him, Derek." The boy's dad said as he motioned his son to hand me back my five dollars. 

"Take it, kid. And what are you waiting for? Go with them. Just give us your spot in exchange for the ice cream. You go get that girl," He went on. His wife was chuckling beside him.

I like that girl?

I clenched my fist and ran after Ashton and Paulene.

PAULENE

"Aaaaaaahhhh!!" I screamed at the top of my lungs.

Baby fucking Jesus!

I swear my kidneys were left there midair as the rest of my body is now falling with the boat swinging downward.

I can't help but shut my eyes as we were going lower and lower.

"Moooomm!!" I heard someone scream out.

"Mom!! Mom!!" He kept on screaming.

I scream along.

"MOOOOOMMM!!" 

Now we're going higher.

I open my eyes again. 

I see that almost everyone was shrieking, but, there are some people who are even holding their cameras.