Chapter 79: Time Will Tell

PAULENE

"I'm sorry if I wasn't able to go to the hospital," Josh said.

"It's okay. Krista was overreacting. Mom kind of also misunderstood. I should be the one who needs to apologize," I answered.

I rub my hands against each other, trying to keep them warm. I don't know if this coffee shop's air conditioner  is set at the coldest levels, or, I'm just tense.

Josh cleared his throat before saying, "Thank you for agreeing to meet up with me. I'm sorry a- I'm, I'm just-- I'm sorry for everything."

"You didn't push me or anything. It wasn't your fault. I was the one who carelessly fell. Besides, I'm fine now. Just a few scratches, but, I'm feeling alright. I'm great!" I tried to sound energetic.

It's true. I am fine.

Well, my neck does hurt at night sometimes, but, after two weeks at the hospital-- I've had more than enough rest to recover.

"So, why are you here?"

"I quit school. College was never for me. It never was. I guess you know. Hockey was the reason I managed to go through high school. Well, it was also because of you. Your motivation and passion was so contagious. You urged me, helped me along the way. And we both know I was never as smart as you," He said before smiling weakly at me.

I smiled back.

"And uhh. My parents, you know how they are." He chuckled.

He went on, "They hate me. They said I can't go back home until I decide to go back to school."

"You're really giving up school?" I asked him.

I don't know this feeling that I have, but, it hurts me to know that he's been going through a lot now. 

"Yeah."

"You already thought this through, huh?" I asked.

"Mhm." He nodded.

I picked up my cup of cappuccino and took a sip before asking, "So, why are you here? In Miami?"

"For you," He said with all seriousness.

"You're kidding, right?" I let out a small laugh, trying to hide my nervousness.

Please tell me you're joking.

"Nope. Remember that I have an aunt in Georgia? We talked online, she knew about my situation. She suggested that I stay with her until I make up my mind on what I actually wanna do. She and her husband run a Moving and Storage company. They have two warehouses in Georgia. She said, if I'd help out, I can stay with them. She also offered to pay me a fair amount for wage."

He took a sip of his coffee and continued, "I then found out that Florida is just south of Georgia. I told her about you. She was very understanding. She said I could take a break for a month. She even gave me allowance for it. She and her husband are very generous."

"And how are you with all of this?" I asked.

I tried to observe his eyes. Trying to see through them as I did before.

All I could see was sadness.

Josh loves his family. 

And he was well provided. He never had to work so hard for anything. Now, he's going to learn how to work and fend for himself. 

I never thought this was happening to him.

I was too selfish, only thinking of how he hurt me. Only thinking of his shortcomings.