Chapter 55: Let the Games Begin

PAULENE

We arrived after more than 10 minutes. Guess there was an error in Franz's estimate. The party already started.

It looks like a typical children's house party. Kids were in their party hats, there were balloons, but, thank God there're no Barney music and clowns.

"Thank you!" Nash exclaimed as Franz handed the Spider-Man cake to Ashton.

"Do you like Spider-Man?" I asked the adorable kid, fingers crossed.

"I do!" He answered.

That's a relief.

Franz insisted that we get the cake that looks like Spider-Man's face or mask or whatever.

He seems happy with the cake, so, I guess it's alright that we bought it instead of that overpriced web-making toy.

I then look at the table and feasted my eyes on the delectable dishes. 

Wow. Ashton cooked all of these?

As if hearing my thoughts, Nash proudly announced, "Ashton cooked everything for me!"

Ashton chuckled before saying, "The burgers and pizza were ordered. Neither can I bake a chocolate cake."

I look at the big, rectangular, chocolate cake with icing that spelled, 'Happy 5th Birthday, Nash! - Dad and Ashton'.

I wonder where Ashton's mother is. Maybe she passed away already. Probably separated? I never bothered to ask.

I put a chicken drum stick on my plate and some pesto before making my way to the living room to take a seat beside Franz on the sofa. 

I then look at Ashton busying himself with the guests. There were a lot of kids and most of them have a parent with them.

I admire how Ashton is really hospitable and good with kids.

He suddenly faced my direction and caught my eye. He gave me a smile and turned away.

I smile back.

But, his smile...

There's something wrong with Ashton's smile.

He looked sad even if he was smiling.

I wonder what's wrong.

"Are you okay?" I shrugged off the thought and gave Franz a nod in reply to his question.

I twirled some pesto noodles around my fork and put it in my mouth.

Mhmm! It tastes so good!

"Yeah, he can cook, alright," Franz commented while he was eating the pesto as well.

I picked the chicken on my plate and took a bite. The chicken is cooked just right. The skin is crispy and crunchy because of the bread crumbs, and the meat is warm and juicy.

Ashton can cook.

He can cook very well.

"Miss me?" Krista asked as she and Horace suddenly popped in front of us carrying plastic cups. They handed one to each of us.

Fruit punch.

"You should hold a party in your new apartment, like a just-moved-in party," Franz suggested to Krista.

"I never thought of that. That is a good idea," She agreed.

Come to think of it, I haven't checked out Krista's apartment yet. She just moved out of the house yesterday.