Chapter 31: Definitely, Maybe

FRANZ

I unlock the car. Paulene gets in and takes the front seat. She then pulls the seat belt and snugs it across her chest. 

"Why the sudden change of mind?" I asked her.

"Ashton was supposed to pick me up but something came up, so..."

I gripped the steering wheel tighter.

Of course, Ashton.

This is a bet. I tend to forget.

"Got some 90's there?" She asked.

I forced a smile and took out my phone. I plugged it to the car stereo and looked for that playlist I actually made for her the other day.

I tapped on Shuffle.

Third Eye Blind's Never Let You Go went on play. I pushed the pedal and drove out of the school parking lot.

PAULENE

Love this song.

He always plays the best tracks.

I'm really thankful for Franz. He's really nice and friendly. I used to feel nervous whenever I'm around him, but now, I feel at ease when I'm with him.

"Why can't Ashton pick you up anyway?" Franz asked.

"You know Tiffany? She got stranded somewhere and asked Ashton to help her."

I'm quite disappointed with Ashton. He offered and assured me he'd pick me up. However, it's not like he had a choice. He had to help Barbie.

Doesn't Tiffany have other friends?

Wow, Paulene. You are like a whiny bitch that's got no right in the first place. Tiffany was already in Ashton's life before you came. You saw it yourself, they're tight. They must even have something much more going on between them.

It should not be a big deal.

He has no responsibilities to you.

Hmm. It's quite surprising that Franz seems to know where I live. He's been silent for a while now. He didn't even bother asking me which way to go.

"Do you know where I live? Maybe you should ask me now before we would get lost." I let out a laugh.

"No! I don't! Shit. Yeah. Uhh. I'm sorry! No. I really don't know where you live. Shit. I was.."

"Hey, it's okay. No damage done. We're not lost, well-- yet. In fact we're still on the right way," I cut him off.

I feel bad that I got him worried. Lucky that we did not take the wrong road.

"Just go straight ahead," I said to him.

I bobbed my head to the song.

This is such a feel-good music. 

I look at Franz. He seems unaffected by the song and is weirdly serious. Is it just me or is something bothering him? He even had a small crease on his forehead.

Maybe he got so bothered that he was just driving without asking me which way to go.

Am I just over thinking and making a big deal out of things again?

"Slow down, Franz. We're near."

He did as I instructed and slowed his car down.

"Over there. The cream-colored house. There. Thanks so much, Franz."

"Sure. By the way.." He paused and unplugged the connector of his phone attached to the stereo.

He handed me his phone, "Give me your number. I think a time would come that we'll need to communicate especially that we're classmates in two classes."

I took his iPhone, typed my number, and handed it back to him.

"Thanks. Give me a text. Bye, Franz! Take care." With that, I got out of his car, closed his car door, and made my way to the house. 

FRANZ

Damn it. I was almost a hair's breadth away from getting caught.

Hell break loose if she figured out that I stalked her the other day. 

The thought of Tiffany asking for Ashton's help distracted me so much. What's even more disturbing is the thought that Ashton would actually help Tiffany, even breaking his promise to Paulene.

Have you come to like Tiffany, Ashton? 

As if that will ever happen.

I drove to Lincoln Road Starbucks where some friends are waiting. They are people I met in Miami Freethinking Society. I'm actually the youngest in the group. Most of them already have stable jobs, even families.

I parked my car and saw them crowded around a small round table under a giant-sized, green-colored patio umbrella outside the coffee shop. They like that spot because most of them smoke.

I walked towards them.

"Frankie's here!" Douglas, a big, semi-bald guy in his forties, announced.

Douglas really won't quit calling me Frankie. I just shrugged and took a seat. 

I listen to them for a while as they discuss political issues. 

"Presidents have the power to nominate the high ranking officials of the executive. They use that power to further their own goals and advance their policies," Levi, a law professor at my university, said before sipping his coffee.

They kept on discussing the politicizing of the departments of the government. 

"Why don't you get some coffee, Franz?" Jane, the only female in the group who is a writer at her late 20s, said to me after puffing a smoke. 

"I think I'll get brewed coffee. Want something?" I asked her.

"I'd love a Cake Pop," She said before giving me a wink.

I rose and made my way towards the shop.

The line is quite long. I took out my phone and logged in Twitter. I could find some info here so I can join in their discussion. 

I then saw a post on my feed.

@Smashbin: Your favorite band #RollTheDice tomorrow night, Saturday, 8PM. See you there!

Should I go?

I'm pretty sure Tiffany will be there. Of course.

And...

Paulene might be there too. 

She'll definitely be there.

--

This chapter is dedicated to VickiMinaj111! Thank you so much for making GTBIL a cute banner and for the love and support you're giving this story! Check out her story Head Over Heels! 

Thank you so much everyone for all the reads, votes, and comments! 

A call out again to the people I know who are watching out for this chapter! Niichan0, CactusHeart_08, and Cupcake_Queen96!

Btw, like the name of the band? Roll the Dice? :D

PS. Watch Third Eye Blind's Never Let You Go at the Multimedia section! "Feel-good music" as Paulene described! ;)