Chapter 60: Open the Door

PAULENE

"I promise to go to the gym with you tomorrow. Fine, the next day then. Anyway, what should I wear?" I asked Krista on the phone.

I have been skimming through my clothes for almost an hour now.

"Well, play safe. Wear something semi-formal," She answered.

I took out a top and a skirt from my closet and laid it on my bed.

"How about this beige, loose-fit, boat-neck top we bought from Forever 21, and I'll match it with my orange floral-printed skirt from Topshop?"

"Hmm... Perfecto! Wear those plus your beige, peep-toe wedge shoes."

"And just slightly curl your hair, not too curly, and don't wear heavy make-up like you are going to prom. It's just dinner anyway," She added.

"Okay, thanks. I'm hanging up now. I still have to take a shower,"  I said to her before ending the call.

I kind of miss Krista already.

I heave out a sigh before stepping in my bathroom.

FRANZ

There will be a Paideia dinner every week and I'm glad Paulene signed up in the org.

Well, it's not like I didn't bribe her.

I guess the end justifies the means.

My Machiavellian tendencies tend to fascinate me at times.

I laughed alone inside the car.

I stopped when I realized that I seem like a crazy person for doing so.

I then pulled over in front of the familiar cream-colored house.

"Already outside. Should I go in and ask permission from your parents?"

I chuckled at the SMS I composed.

I immediately got a reply,

"NO! w8. b there n a few!"

Alright, might as well just play a game while waiting. I opened my Minecraft app.

I was then startled when I heard tapping.

She's fast. She didn't even let me play the game.

I unlocked the car to let her in before putting my phone back in the pocket of my black skinny jeans.

When I looked up at her--

"Wow," I said breathlessly as I took a good look at her.

She is so stunningly beautiful tonight.

I mean it.

"What?" She asked.

She then just stared at me like I was crazy.

My heart is racing.

I want to lean in and kiss her right now.

God knows when was the last time I locked lips.

I stare at Paulene's yellow-brown, cat-like eyes that seem to light up in the darkness. Those eyes were looking back at mine.

I then shifted my gaze lower, down to her lips, her neck, her collar bone, her chest...

The smell of raspberries are getting stronger and stronger--

She then pushed my chest away as I was surprisingly leaning closer to her.