Chapter 42: For Mother Nature

PAULENE

Thank heavens! I finally passed a quiz.

6 out of 10!

I turned to face Franz who was sitting behind me.

"I passed," I mouthed at him while showing him my paper.

He grinned at me and gave me two thumbs up.

Oh, wait, why was I being friendly to him?

I turned to face the professor again.

Hmpf. See that, Franz? I passed without you helping me out.

Though, I have to admit that two numbers are True or False questions and I was just lucky I made the right guesses.

My subconscious must know the answers.

That's what I learned from Psychology. We have this subconscious part of our brain that is not in our focal awareness yet it is the storehouse of our knowledge. 

Professor McCullough went on to say, "Remember to study and master Plato's The Republic. I know it might seem impossible to read the entire thing, but, truth is, you could. If you can finish reading Stephenie Meyer's novel in a night, why can't you do the same with Plato's book?"

Some students laughed at this.

"Again, long quiz on Thursday-- everything about what we have discussed so far. It will be 100 items. I will dismiss you early. Use your time wisely." 

Everyone in class lit up at McCullough's announcement. 

I'm glad that there's still some kindness left in him.

I quickly fixed my things and rushed out of the classroom.

I'm not gonna give myself the chance to talk to Franz.

Who does he think he is?

I also found out last night that he still didn't accept that Friend Request I sent him on Facebook.

Guess what? He updated his Profile Picture. Does someone update his Profile Picture without checking for new Friend Requests and Notifications?

Yes.

Franz.

No, Pau. He purposely ignored your request.

"Paulene! Wait!" It's definitely Franz calling out to me.

I quickened my steps.

I was then startled when he suddenly appeared in front of me, slightly panting.

I stare at his strong chest as it rises and falls along with his breathing.

"Let's talk, okay?" He said as he dragged me to the side.

"Okay..." I replied, my gaze still fixed on his chest.

I would love to see what's underneath that V-neck shirt.

"I'll help you out. We can be study buddies for Sociology and Ancient and Medieval Political Theories."

"What?!" I snapped at him as I went back to reality, breaking free from the spell his chest put me on.

"It's clear that you read the text last night. Look at those panda eyes. You also passed the quiz. Congratulations!"

I have panda eyes? All day?! I thought the concealer already did the trick? Remind me to retouch later.

"So, uhh, I saw that you can actually work hard and be dedicated. I'm willing to help you only if you are not stubborn to do your part. I'll help you catch up. It can also help me master the text."