Chapter 41: The All Ashton Reject

PAULENE

"Tonight's gig is gonna be special. We will play back to back with The All American Rejects. The, All, American, Rejects-- playing at Smashbin tonight!" Ashton exclaimed.

Wow. The All American Rejects.

I love that band!

I can finally see them live!

Or Not.

"Uhm... Ash?" 

"Yeah?" He responded with a smile.

"I can't go tonight."

"But-- Why?" His smile turned upside down.

"I really need to catch up with all the academic work. I've been getting really bad marks. Later, I'll take another quiz and I really hope studying all night would pay off."

I continued, "I can't master the text yet. I didn't get to study the last part last night because I was already too sleepy. I need to allot more time for my readings. And you know, other subjects, not to mention Prelim exams next, next week. There's just so much to read."

He looked defeated.

If only he knew how badly I want to come.

"I'm sorry," I whispered.

"It's alright." He forced a smile, a less genuine smile than the first.

"Take lots of pictures with them for me! Tag me on Facebook," I said in a cheerful tone.

There was a moment of silence.

We ate our lunch quietly.

It's just the two of us having lunch here at La Sandwicherie because the other guys had something to attend to. 

I really wish Ashton would say something. It's getting really awkward.

"I'd rather you will be there instead of The All American Rejects," He said in a low voice.

I took another bite of my Grilled Camembert sandwich before putting it down while slowly chewing the piece of bread inside my mouth.

Did I hear what he just said correctly?

"I don't know why, but, I always want to see you," He went on.

I choked and coughed out the piece of bread I was chewing.

Crap!

I quickly took the tissue to wipe my hand.

Gosh. That was disgusting. Good thing I covered my mouth with my hand just in time.

Others turned their heads to look at me.

Ashton then rose from his seat and leaned in closer, rubbing my back with his hand.

"Are you alright? Drink water." He took my glass of water and handed it to me.

I quickly took a gulp before saying, "Thanks."

He then went back to take his seat on the stool beside me.

ASHTON

She looked nervous. 

Did I make her feel nervous?

Did I have that much effect on her?

Why did I even blurt that out?

It felt honest though.

I honestly do want to see her every time.

I'd pick her over any of my favorite bands any day. 

I scoff at the thought.

Maybe I'm already taking this bet way too seriously.

I need to loosen up.

"Anyway, I want you to be there so badly because, y'know, the group is not complete without you. The boys are used to have you around already."

She just let out an "Oh" in reply.

"I hope Krista can make it tonight," I added.

"She will. That's a hundred percent sure. She won't miss a chance to be with Horace." She smiled.

"Yeah."

Lucky Horace for having a girl like Krista in his life.

"I'm sure Tiffany is the same. I bet she never missed any of your gigs," She said while chuckling.

"What?!" I didn't even bother hiding my shock.

She gave me a puzzled expression.

It's true, though. Tiffany never missed our gig.

"Well, Tiffany's a big fan," I just said.

I winked at her, trying to hide my annoyance at the subject of Tiffany. I'm pretty sure she got a glimpse of that annoyance, though.

I smiled at her.

She returned the gesture warmly.

"Let's go back?" She asked after glancing at her silver wrist watch.

I nodded at her.

--

Thanks for the read! ;)

This chapter is dedicated to Onymous! My new dedicated reader/voter/commenter! Thank you so much for the love and support. Super alert in reading a new update :P

Hope y'all like this short chappy. A pic of La Sandwicherie at the Multimedia!

Next chappy-- Will Paulene finally pass a quiz in Ancient and Medieval Political Theories? Or will she fail again? What will happen next?

Are you excited? Like how this story is going? Show some love and support! ;) <3

PS. For those who haven't seen Beyond Promise's Trailer/Teaser Vid, I attached it at the Multimedia! ;) Happy watching! Beyond Promise is coming soon!