Chapter 8

We arrive at the mansion and the home looks beautiful from the outside.  I can’t believe how amazing this home looks.  I begin to pull at the bottom of my dress.  I’ve never been a girl who wore dresses, especially short dresses.  Stephen had told me that I looked delectable but I don’t know if he was teasing me or being serious and is a short dress really appropriate to meet the parents?  Am I really here to meet his parents or did he not really want to bring me?

“You really need to stop letting your mind control your emotions.”

Stephen opens the door, climbing out and dragging me with him.  We walk up to the door and I slip behind him, hiding from the parents.  The door opens and I hear a squeal of glee.

“Stephie!  You made it.” 

“Hi mom.”

“Where’s your girlfriend?” the woman asks in disappointment.

His hand latches on to my upper arm and he pulls me from my hiding place, placing me in front of a beautiful woman.  His mom has bleach blonde hair and the perfect complexion.  She is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen.  I tend to forget that all vampires are drop dead gorgeous. 

My eyes shoot to the floor and away from the beautiful woman.  Her hand shoots under my chin and pulls it up so I’m stuck staring at her.

“Don’t worry dear, we won’t hurt you.”  She gives me a reassuring smile, “You look very beautiful tonight, Keira.”

I feel the heat in my cheeks and I know that I have blushed.

“Oh goodness, Stephie, she is so cute.”

“Mom, you are embarrassing her.”

“I know but her reactions are so adorable.”

“Honey, your oven is going off!”  A male voice hollers from another room.

Stephen’s mom disappears in a second and Stephen drags me in the door.  I follow him into a room that seems like a living room.  He takes a seat on the couch and gestures to me to take a seat next to him.  I hesitate at first but place myself on the opposite side of the couch as Stephen.  He leans over and pulls me over on to his lap.

“You don’t have to sit so far away from me.”  I struggle to escape his grasp.  “What’s wrong?”

“This is a little inappropriate in your parent’s home.”

“Keira, chill.  You are fine, but if you don’t want me to touch you anymore than I understand.”

He sets me back down on the opposite side.  I didn’t mean that I didn’t want him to touch me at all.

“Dinner’s ready.”

Stephen climbs to his feet, ignoring me and exiting the room.  I hurry to my feet and follow the way he had disappeared to.  There are so many doors and the hallways are very dark.  I continue down the hallway just looking for any sign of people.  It feels like forever before I come to a set of stairs.  I know this isn’t right.  There is a big door that leads out to the backyard. 

When I notice an escape route the thought of my baby brother pops into my head.  My baby brother always looked up to me and he had to be missing me dearly.  Can I really leave Stephen after he finally gave up and stopped pushing me away?  I don’t want to leave him but family should come first and he would do the same if it was his family right?  All I need to do is go home and tell them that I am sorry and I missed them but I have found someone to take care of me.  They need to know that I am okay and then I can come back to Stephen.  I will only leave him for a few days.