Chapter 12

Stephen:

“No!  Keira!  You can’t leave me!”  I scream at her.  Tears have taken my eyes and the worst pain has hit my heart.  I shake her still form and I see no change in her.  “Keira, I love you.  I shouldn’t have been so naïve.  I should have told you from the beginning what I felt instead of make you go through this for so long.”  I see Sapphire inching closer to me but I blow it off.  “You can’t leave me.”  I say in a broken whisper.  My tears have been spilling onto her face making her face wet.  “Don’t leave me, Keira.  I need you.”

Sapphire shoots out her hand to my chest landing it over my heart.  I can feel my pain being pulled away and then I realize what is going on.  I hit Sapphire in the stomach throwing her across the room.

“No!”  I scream, “I deserve this pain.  I made the mistake so I deserve the punishment.”  I growl at her.  I bare my fangs at her and I still see no ounce of fear in her eyes.

“I promised her I would do this Stephen.”  She whispers to me.

I broke down.  “I don’t care what you promised! I deserve every ounce of this pain!  She should not have taken my pain away.  I need this pain.  I deserve this pain.”  I sob. 

I am not going to let her take this away after all the cruel things I did to my beloved mate.  How could I be so stupid?  I collapse onto Keira’s body.

Keira:

I am in an empty room with white walls everywhere.  Allison appears and walks up to me taking my hand and we are back in the room where I died.  I take in the scene and I collapse in a fit of sobs.  Stephen is so upset and his pain must be unbearable.  Why didn’t Sapphire take away his pain like I requested?

“Because he stopped her and pushed her away.”

I glance up at her in surprise.

“He understands now what you were to him and he regrets his actions.  He feels as if he deserves this pain.”

“But he doesn’t.”  I cry, “He is only a broken man and I wanted to fix him.  I had to fix him because I love him.”

“You’re not going to get your second chance.  Good things like that don’t happen to the people who truly deserve it.”  I can tell she means herself.  She really did love Mason with all her heart.

“You mean you.”  I whisper to her.

“I deserve happiness just as much as you do but we don’t get what we want or what we truly deserve.  It’s the way this world works and you better get used to it.”

“Way to throw it at me easily.”

“This picture of his hurt is all you are going to see every day, every hour, and every second of your new life.  I just don’t want you to expect anything different.”

I glance back at the scene.  Stephen is so broken and I want to heal his pain but what can I do if I’m not even alive.  This broken man will always remain broken because I couldn’t fix him.  I’ve failed him.

Another woman enters our little room and I instantly recognize her as my mother.  When I saw her the first time, she still had brown hair and brown eyes but now that I see her she has my ice blue hair, pale white skin, and bright white eyes.  How did she keep her identity hidden when she looked so odd with the blue hair and white eyes?

“I can answer that for you.”  Even her voice has a chill to it.  “I can be whoever I desire to be, it is my special power and I used it to remain looking like myself.”

“Did Dad ever know what you were?”

“Of course he did.”

“Then why did he hurt me mom?”  I let out a broken sob.