(Thursday, January 23rd, 2020)

Ashton stood up when he saw Luke coming in through the restaurant. He brought his friend into a hug, kissing his cheek before sitting back down.

"I ordered a sundae for us to share because I know we need that more than lunch," Ash said as Luke got comfortable.

It was hard to get comfortable with four humans growing inside of his womb. "You know me so well, it's amazing." Luke picked up his phone, placing it on the table. He was still waiting for a text from Michael saying they landed in whatever country they're off to next.

"How are my little nieces doing?"

Luke played with his fingernails as he leant on the table. "You wouldn't let me refer to myself as Uncle for the first three years of Bell's and Iv's life. Who said you were going to Uncle my children?"

"Don't be annoying."

Luke chuckled as he looked up at his best friend. "They're doing alright, kind of bothersome, but that's normal." He poked at the top of his large belly. "I'm so fat now, I don't know how I'm able to walk."

"You look great, stop it."

When one boy was feeling insecure, it was quick for the other to feel the same way. That was kind of how their relationship worked, that's just how Luke and Ashton worked. Luke would talk about the rolls on his back, and suddenly Ash would think about the extra skin around his hips. Luke would mention his lack of sleep, and Ashton would think about the purple bags under his eyes.

Their dessert-for-lunch came, both boys automatically digging in as they began their weekly gossip about their husbands. They were like suburban mothers, yet constantly denied the thought.

"—He's just been so distant, you know?" Ashton said, a mouth full of ice cream almost falling from his tongue.

"I feel you, like, no, come home and rub my feet."

Ash pouted. "You guys are so cute though. It physically hurts to see you two being cute together. Michael is so in love with you, it radiates."

"Calum would carry you on his back for the rest of his life if you asked, Ash. He's hopelessly in love with you."

He shrugged, spinning the bowl so the boys could switch parts of the large sundae. "I don't know, I kind of want to get married but I don't know how to bring it up. We're moving in to a new house, we're trying again for number three."

"Didn't you tell him you didn't want to, though?"

The brunette nodded. "That's why I'm afraid to bring it up. It's just so scary, you know? Like, we could simply break up and that's that. It's scary."

"Baby number three, though," Luke trailed off. His eyes flickered up the a blushing Ash, hoping he'd continue.

"Yeah. Nothing is happening, but I'm kind of okay with that. I mean, I'd rather be there to help you out than anything else. You're like my tiny son, I need to take care of you, too."

Luke rolled his eyes. "You do not need to take care of me, Ashton, I swear. Don't worry about me, just worry about making yourself a little happier." Luke liked their weekly eating session, it gave him time to cool off any anger he had built up. "Get fucking married, have a child, just do it."

"You're like my brother, Luke. I'm gonna wait until after you're done with your four girls, then I'll focus on myself again."

"But, if we're pregnant at almost the same time, we can have our babies and burn off all this fat together."

Ashton laughed as he sat back in his seat, trying to let the many servings of ice cream he just out into his garbage body. "That's the hardest part, I hate to break it to you."

Luke pouted. "Really? I hate running and exercising. Can Cal help me? Mike refuses to."

"If you want to wake up at five in the morning to go run four miles every morning, then go ahead. I doubt I'll be joining you."

"I can't believe this is the people we are," Luke said with a small chuckle leaving his throat. "Like, we sit around talking about kids and our partners while we eat, a lot." Luke pushed away the guilt in his head (and stomach) as he looked at the sundae made for four that he and his best friend just went through.

Ashton laughed, tilting his head back. "Yeah, that's us. Better than college, though, right?"

"I'm still buying 64 packs of toilet paper because it's on sale. And, lots and lots of ramen noodles. These girls like ramen noodles." Luke rested his hands on the bump. The bump was actually quite good for resting items like his laptop or Taco or his hands.

"Bell and Iv really liked croutons when I was pregnant with them, isn't that weird? Cal would come home wanting a salad and I'd suddenly realize I went through two bags of croutons." Ashton leant his elbows on the table, leaning over and smiling at Luke. "I never thought we were going to stay friends for this long, I know that's awful, but really. You were the dorky kid across the hall who didn't know what pants were."

"And you were the fucking moron across the hall who forgot their key every single day."

"Look at us now," Ash said, "Amazing."

If Luke didn't fuck around with their TA, then Ashton most likely wouldn't have met Calum. Cal wouldn't have had an excuse to talk to Ash if it wasn't for Michael and Luke. Even though talking is hard and scary, sometimes it can change one's life for the good.