Chapter 13

Chapter 13

“As I told Lavi before, there is city, Rome, which has been infested by akuma. There are little people known to be that aren’t akuma – all the finders that we sent never reported back, most likely they’re dead.” Komui grimaced at the last part, sadness overwhelming him as there were several lives lost ot find out about Rome.

“But why did you just send finders? Couldn’t you also send an exorcist with the finder?” Eliza cocked a brow, finding it quite unbelievable that Komui would send finder after finder knowing that they’d died before sending another one.

The Chief was silent for a second, before answering, “That…will be overkill. Exorcists have many other duties other than to accompany a finder to a destination that is full of akuma. Yes, they’ve lost their lives, but they were willing to so that the information can be passed to us. All the exorcists were busy at that time, so we couldn’t help but decide upon that.”

Frowning, Eliza shook her head slowly, “That is stupid! Why’d you send many finders over? I’m willing to bet that you sent more than 3! 2 would have been fine!” She exclaimed, clenching her hands into fists as she stared with frustration at the Chief.

Komui’s eyes softened and there was a pause, “I know it was stupid of me – I didn’t think straight. This is one of the first times that this kind of thing has happened.”

Crossing her arms, Eliza plopped down onto the couch in between Lavi and Allen and crossed her legs, an unreadable expression on her face.

“Brother, what’re the details? Do we all go there?” Lenalee asked, breaking the doomed silence.

The older brother clicked his fingers, “Ah! That’s right,” He pulled down a map and somehow magically pointed at Rome with a silver stick that teachers used so that they didn’t get in the way of their students, “So you’ll all go to Rome. Take care, though, everything is probably akuma infectious. Something’s being planned there – I don’t know what, but I’d like you all to investigate and report back to me. Oh, also destroy the akuma too, please.” Komui ended with a bright and happy smile, but once he saw the gloomy faces of the 4 exorcists, he smile went gloomy too.

“Man…we have to do all that…?” Lavi stared at the Chief with tired eyes, “Are you kidding me?”

“Seems like hell of a big job, frankly.” Eliza sighed.

“You’re not one to complain. I know it’s a big job, but it has to be done, just like a wound has to be treated before it gets worse. Capish?” The Chinese man raised both eyebrows.

“How long do you think it’ll take to get there and finish the mission?” Allen asked.

“It’s not that far from here. It’ll take 1 day or so. But finishing the mission? I have absolutely no idea.”

“Ah…ok…”

“Well, be careful, all of you. It’s dangerous. Look out for each other. The town’s a living murderer.” Komui waved them goodbye and sat on his seat, heaving a big sigh as he rubbed his temples.

~

The 4 of them walked together, a heavy burden for them so that they could finish the mission safe and sound. It wasn’t like it was their first time on a mission, but this one sounded very serious – a town full of akuma? How many people – akuma – would that be? How long did they have to use their Innocence? If it’s a whole town, then wouldn’t they be battling non-stop, since if one akuma is killed, another will also come and attack them?

That would be a never ending cycle of akuma, until all the ones in the village die out!

Eliza felt tired even thinking about it. It wasn’t something that she’d do any day, because she wouldn’t do it. Sad enough, she had to. It was her job.