Chapter 4

Chapter 4

As Lavi sprinted after Eliza, only one thought raced through his mind: What was she going to do with his Innocence? He could think of all the possible unfortunate things happening, but her taking it was one of the worst, too. He remembered, long ago, Bookman’s words to him about his Innocence, just before joining the Black Order.

“You must never let someone else other than the science crew to take your Innocence. You may never know, they may be an ally of the Millennium Earl.”

Somebody else taking his Innocence? Check. Someone that might be an ally of the Millennium Earl? Check. The science crew not having his Innocence? Check.

HOLY CRAP.

He raced after her, jumping and swinging from floor to floor, seeing the black haired girl swiftly turn a corner before he raced after her, then saw her turn another. He realized, after running so much around the Black Order, she was going around in the same place. The red head though up of a plan, slightly smirking to himself.

Well, it would work out.

~

Eliza grinned as she saw Lavi’s flaming red hair in the distance. Although he was hot on her heels, she managed to get away, lightly puffing. She was used to all this running; not because she was some athlete, but because she’s run away from several gangs of akuma around where she lived. Out running Lavi would be a piece of cake.

“YOU CAN’T GET ME NOW!” She shouted, dangling his Innocence in front of her face. She saw Lavi’s head perk up and him charge towards her with his little energy reserve left. The green eyed female scooted out of the way, letting him nearly fall off the rails as she went the other way, leaving him there to balance himself out.

Instead of running, Eliza skipped along the hallway, waiting for Lavi to come after her. Funny thing was, was that the red head didn’t, making her confused. Eliza stopped for a brief second and scanned around, trying to see if there were any noises that she could hear. She heard nothing.

This is too suspicious...she thought. Taking a small step back and continuing her way to the end of the hallway, she stopped short before hurrying to the corner and looking diagonally up. Her green eyes darted side to side, down and up, seeing nothing. She did the same to the other side, before she decided it was safe to go out, but with precautions.

Taking a step out, then another, she quickly scooted back into the hallway where she stood before, having heard a noise. Something hit the ground and yelled out in pain, catching Eliza’s eyes. She stood with her hand on her hip, the other holding onto the Innocence in her small palm.

She sighed, shaking her head slowly from side to side as she stared at the red head that had fallen from the assumed ‘sky’. She threw up the Innocence once before catching it again, making her way over to Lavi and kneeling down, ruffling his soft red hair and grinning.

Although Lavi was in pain, his arms, legs and buttocks hurting from the fall from where he was just hiding, he looked up slightly and met Eliza’s green eyes as he felt her ruffle his hair. Wasn’t it a chase? He was surprised she didn’t skip away like all the other times that he nearly got her. He could’ve moved anytime he wanted to, but he wanted to know what she would do, since she wasn’t ‘running away’.

“Thanks for a good workout, Lavi. It was fun.” Eliza contently said, placing his Innocence in front of him. She lifted herself up and walked off, finding something else to do.

Once she was gone out of Lavi’s site, he quickly got up and put his Innocence back where it belonged, lightly rubbing where he was sore. He was quite surprised at that side of Eliza. He thought of her as a rude, ignorant, inquisitive but cute girl at first meeting, but first impressions weren’t all that knowing.

“Hah!” Lavi stood up and brushed himself off of the dust and went off.

She was definitely something else.

~

“Hello, I’m Lenalee Lee; the supervisor’s little sister.” A tall pig tailed female with dark hair and eyes smiled up at Eliza, having approached her just before. Eliza blinked before she smiled and nodded, recognizing the name ‘Lenalee’ that Komui had spoken about.

“It’s nice to meet you, Lenalee! I’m Eliza Rickards – a new exorcist to the Order.” Eliza held out her hand for a shake, which Lenalee happily shook.

“Komui told me that you’d need some company for the time that your Innocence is being inspected and examined, am I right?” She asked. Eliza merely nodded. She knew a lot, she thought. Lenalee nodded, looking straight ahead, then back at the newcomer. “Whilst your Innocence is getting examined, I’ll tell you more about the Order once we sit down at the cafeteria. I’m famished.”

Eliza was amazed at the bubbliness of this female girl. She forgot if Komui said if Lenalee was an exorcist or not – but she did remember him saying that she was on a mission. She came to a conclusion. Lenalee was an exorcist. No doubt about it.

The pair of girls made their way to the cafeteria, Lenalee ordering her food. They sat down at a spot which was free and Lenalee began to eat in small bites, being in conversation with Eliza for half the time. They talked about the history of the Black Order, how it was founded and what the exorcists did there, who the exorcists were, what the Millennium Earl did, that kind of stuff. A quarter of the stuff that Lenalee explained to Eliza was new to her, new information that she didn’t know about the Black Order.

Once the meal had been finished by Lenalee, she put the empty plates away and they began to walk to Komui’s office because Lenalee needed to fill out the report for her mission that she had just returned from.

Lenalee finished her report while explaining to Eliza what to do with the reports. She also explained that she needed a uniform to signal that she was an exorcist. Eliza’s head was loaded with tonnes of information about the Black Order; it felt as if her head would explode.

After Eliza got her uniform, which was similar to Lenalee’s but with pants instead of a skirt, Eliza was called into Komui’s office. She spotted him in the science area, though, instead of his office. Lenalee tagged along.

“Komui, what did you call me for?” The green eyes adult asked.

Komui looked over to his side and smiled, pushing up his glasses. “You’re Innocence had been examined. You’re free to use it now.” He looked around for a brief second before shouting, “Reever!”

A blonde scientist came out from behind Komui, holding Eliza’s Innocence. He was instructed to hand it over to Eliza from Komui, which he obeyed and gave.

“Eliza, you’re going to be on your first mission. But, this mission will be with Lavi, since he hasn’t been on a mission.” Komui said with a straight face, his tone serious and orderly.

Eliza raised her eyebrows slightly. “He told me he was on a mission. Lavi, I mean.” She said, slightly confused.

Komui shook his head once. “He wasn’t on a mission. What he was on was a scouting for where akuma could possibly be hiding, and to put finders where we need them so that they can report back to us where the akuma are lurking. In short, it wasn’t a mission.” Komui concluded.

Eliza slowly nodded. “Right…”

Komui continued, “Anyway, your first mission will be with Lavi. Bookman cannot come along because he’s busy, so it’s just you and him. Don’t worry. It won’t be awkward. Not at all.”