Chapter 7

Chapter 7

“Yvonne…Yvonne, tell me what happened.” Eliza said gently, talking in a calm and gentle voice. She tried to coax her into talking more, and to be unafraid of what she was explaining.

Lavi scratched his head, not knowing what to do. At times like these, situations like these, he didn’t know what to do. He didn’t know and still doesn’t know how to handle girls…

The blonde sobbed once, before wiping the tears away with her finger. Her eyes were still a little teary. “I…I was too scared to move. I thought that they’d get me, too. I didn’t dare open the window. It was so scary. There were so many people…so many people thumping down onto the ground after many shots…it was horrendous…”

“Did you see what the people who used the guns were?” Eliza asked, slightly confused about the guns part.

“N-No…I didn’t open the windows, see, and it was real dark outside…because it was the middle of the night…I was sleeping then those noises started and everything and everyone just started to panic.” Yvonne took a shaky breath, before continuing. “I waited…and waited. I waited until the morning. It came, really slowly, and the shooting subsided after 1 hour. I was afraid…afraid that they’d come back and shoot again, so I waited till morning. But when I got outside…nothing was there – no one was there – except for clothes lying around with grey ashes. It was so strange; it scared me…frightened me and the others.” Yvonne bit her lip gently.

“Others? Who are the others?” Lavi asked, securing his role in asking something. He didn’t want Eliza to do all the work – it wasn’t her that interrogated Yvonne – it was him too.

“You mean ‘were’.” Yvonne corrected, looking at Lavi.

“Huh? Why’s that?” He asked.

“I’m referring to them as past tense because they were here, but now they’re not. They’re gone. The last time those gun shots I heard – there weren’t any of them in sight anymore. I looked everywhere, and concluded that they were struck by the gunmen.” Yvonne said sadly, her tone dropping.

“Do you know that they were gunmen?” Eliza and Lavi said simultaneously. They glanced at each other once before staring back at the girl in red.

“I…I don’t know…I didn’t see them…” She trailed off, before standing up from her seat, “If…if you’ll excuse me; I don’t want to dwell on this topic anymore. Do you want to help bake my pie?” She offered, suddenly cheering up.

Eliza shook her head. “Nah, I’ll pass. We’re here to investigate, not bake pies. Sorry. I would’ve liked to though.”

~

“Right…so moving house, random gunmen shooting down random people…” Eliza sighed, crossing her arms. “Moving house is the Innocence, gunmen were the akuma. Case done.”

Lavi sweat-dropped at Eliza’s thinking. It was like she wanted to finish the mission straight away. He wanted to tell her that the mission was to be taken at a steady pace, not a pace that would suit an Olympic sprinter.

“Lavi, do you think that house with Yvonne, has something to do with Innocence?” Eliza asked, looking at Lavi.

The red haired man blinked but shrugged. “How should I know? I can’t tell where Innocence is if the Innocence is a house! Who can tell it apart from any other house, anyway?” He asked.

The black haired woman frowned. “Well, the least you can do is to help me find the house. The akuma will appear later, anyway.”

“Eliza-chan…you know, if you think about it, the akuma will most likely destroy every single house in this city if they find out that exorcists are here…so…let’s just wait until the akuma come out.” Lavi suggested.

Eliza elbowed Lavi in the arm. “Are you saying I have no brain?!”

Lavi rubbed his arm, feeling the bruise already forming from the attack. He made no comment, though.

Eliza raised an eyebrow, surprised he had no reaction. Psh, that guy must have learned his place...she thought. She pondered on what Lavi had said before, considering that it was a better choice than just knocking door to door to find whatever they could find. “We’ll go with your plan, then, reddy. How do we go about it?” Eliza finally said.

Lavi’s eyes widened, stunned that she actually considered what he had said, before answering. He wanted to leave his smiles for last. “We’ll wait until night for the akuma to appear.” said Lavi.

It was silent for the few seconds after Lavi finished. Eliza raised an eyebrow. “…Is that all?”

“Yeah. We’ll find out what to do afterwards…” Lavi flicked his hand carelessly.

“Hm…to think I thought that you had a plan…” Eliza sighed. “Well, whatever. Let’s go door knocking.”  She began walking down the street towards other houses.

Lavi grinned, following after her. “Sure. And thank you, Eliza-chan~!”

Eliza stopped and looked behind her, raising an eyebrow. “What for?”

“Oh, nothing~!” Lavi caught up to her and they continued walking.

Yeah, right, it’s ‘nothing’.

~

Night came and the stars came out, shimmering in the sky and showing their existence. The wind became cold, making Eliza shiver from head to toe. Lavi was perfectly fine, however.

“If you’re cold, let me hug you.” Lavi offered, inching closer to Eliza.

“Urgh. Sorry to say this, but no.” The green eyed female moved away from Lavi, focusing on the sky and her surroundings. “There’s no akuma so far.” She whispered.

“Maybe we should go where Yvonne is.” Lavi suggested. “She might have something to do with having akuma around. After all, she did, sort of, witness it, don’t you think so?” He asked.

“Y-Yeah…” Eliza mumbled. She stuttered, but that was only because she was cold.

“Gah.” Lavi frowned and quickly went over to where Eliza was, before pulling her in really quickly, hugging her tightly around the shoulders.

“AGH!” Eliza yelped, surprised by the sudden movement. She felt warm and fuzzy, like how she is when she’s near something warm. She did feel warm, but, once she looked over to her to her side to see what had made her warmer, she found out that it was that red head man she was stuck with, and immediately tried to get away, pulling and tugging at the arms that were around her.

“O-Oi!! Stop that! I know you’re cold, so this is only to warm you up!” He defended, his arms still around her shoulders. He wouldn’t let go that easily. He’s going to make her let him hug her no matter what.

After many minutes of tugging and pulling, Eliza finally gave up, crossing her arms and pouting, glaring at the road ahead. The blood had risen to her cheeks as she thought of what everyone else would think of their awkward position like that. They’d think that they were a couple! She didn’t want that.

“You’re getting off me the instant we’re at Yvon—” Lavi clamped a hand on her mouth and went right next to her, so close that he whispered into her ear. More blood had flooded into her face, making her blush like mad.

“Shh…akuma.” He spoke. She could feel his hot breath right next to her ear.

Eliza stopped talking, because if she did, she’d probably lose it, especially at the close proximity.

“We’re going to go in.” Lavi glanced at Eliza. “Are you ready?”

She nodded.