Epilogue

Epilogue

“Hey…what’s the use of exorcists now that the akuma egg has been destroyed?” A black haired girl crossed her legs and arms on a comfy chair in Head Chief’s office, along with the other exorcists; Allen, Kanda, Lavi, Lenalee, and some of whom she didn’t know.

“You see…” Komui sighed, taking a sip of his blue mountain coffee, “It’s not as simple as that, Eliza.”

“Hah?” She raised her eyebrow and leaned her body forward, looking at him with an expression that could probably burn holes.

“Although the akuma egg has been destroyed – there is still the Noah and the Earl. They’re still alive, remember? It’s only their akuma factory that is destroyed. They can always rebuild it.” Komui frowned.

“Wait…but…didn’t Alistair say that my Innocence was able to stop the akuma factory completely?” Eliza exclaimed, “That’s not fair! We work so hard to destroy it and they can rebuild it! That’s stupid, if you ask me.” She pouted, looking as angry as ever.

Lavi, the natural red head, snickered next to her, earning him an elbow in the ribs.

“That’s…a bit more complicated, but I won’t delve into it. Anyway, according to what Alistair’s said, it’s not like the egg will rebuild on its own, over a short time. It takes a lot of resources to make the egg and takes many, many years.” said Komui.

“How many?”

“Maybe one hundred…or a few hundreds?” Komui shrugged, “I honestly don’t know.”

“Uh…we won’t even be alive then.” Eliza pointed out.

“That’s why we need new generation exorcists.”

“Wait a minute – hold up!” Eliza put her hand up to stop him from speaking, “So there’s no use for us exorcists anymore? I liked this job!” She said defensively.

“No, no, you guys aren’t out of the job yet. You’re all still exorcists no matter what. But – even though the egg was destroyed, there are still quite a number of akuma left in the world. So what you guys are going to do is go around and continue missions – you’re also likely to run into Noah so you’d have to be careful.” Komui explained.

“And I thought I destroyed the egg for good, too…” Eliza mumbled.

She felt Lavi shift from beside her, moving closer. She eyed him suspiciously, but then noticed that Kanda and Allen were giving each other death glares, radiating a deathly aura.

“Kanda, Allen, stop giving each other death glares. You guys are likely to be stationed at different places…hopefully.” Komui smiled at them both. His eyes glanced over at Lavi and Eliza, “As for you two…”

*****

“I don’t get why we’re doing this.” Eliza shoved on a pair of gloves. Lavi did the same.

They were in charge of taking care of the garden for the day. Apparently Komui had found that they were one of the only people that had used the garden in one form or the other, thus making them clean it. (The other being Lenalee and Kanda, but he would never let Lenalee clean it, or want to get killed by Kanda’s sword).

“Well, Komui does like beautiful gardens.” Lavi joked.

“No shit he does!” Eliza cursed, pulling out a small weed. She threw it onto the ground next to her and continued doing so.

There was a comfortable silence between them, but Lavi felt nervous. He was weighing up options of whether or not he should ask her, but didn’t know how, or if he was ready.