Catching Glances

2 Months Later

Samantha Anderson

The beautiful ring glistened on my left finger as I typed away at my computer. Louis had given me a new project regarding a new collection of casual wear. It was exciting to think he was trusting me with such a task. He was interested to see what I could do. Personally, I preferred women's clothing and designing those pieces, but doing men's casual wear was quite fun too.

"Samantha," I looked up from my desk to see Louis standing in the door way.

"Oh, hey, what's up?" I asked, finished my thought and looking up at him. 

"I hate to get serious, but we really need to discuss your job position," he said to me, sitting down across from me. I thought about his words, I guess it made sense. I was filling in for his actual assistant, I had been for awhile, but I guess I'd forgotten. 

I looked at him, "This doesn't sound good."

"You aren't losing your job or anything," he answered me, shaking his head and chuckling, "actually I want to talk about a promotion. My assistant is coming back, but I would really like to talk to you about becoming assistant designer to me. Your talent is incredible and I think we could really utilize you."

"That's amazing Louis, but isn't Clara already your assistant designer?"

"That's the main thing I wanted to discuss with you, I would really like to begin a women's collection and I want your help on it," he said to me, his smile clearly evident. I could tell he had been wiating to say that this entire meeting. "Expanding the company is what is right for now." 

My heart was beating quickly, "Seriously? I'd love to, oh my God."

"I'm glad, honestly, I was hoping you'd want to. I know that you prefer women's clothing," he said, nodding his head. "I really think you'll enjoy it." 

"I'm so excited, I already have ideas!"

"Hold onto them, we have a creative meeting next week. Maybe start sketching, I'm seeing a casual-couture collection in my head," Louis answered. His eyes going glassy with idea. He was a creative mastermind and watching him work was an absolute privilege, standing up. "Have fun!"

My eyes turned to the sketchbook that sat in the corner of my desk. I grasped it and flipped it open. On the first page was a design of a dress that I knew would be perfect for the collection. I smiled to myself, I couldn't believe this was all happening to me.

As I pulled my pencil out of my desk, I was distracted by a movement in front of my door. I had glass doors which meant I could see everything going on outside of my office. 

Outside stood Harry Styles. The man I've been avoiding for two months. He was still beauitful as hell and my heart still broke when I saw him. After spending days just googling his face and reading every article I could about him, I realized it was time for me to give up. It wasn't worth spending my life being in love with someone who didn't love me. 

Which is why I accepted Luke's proposal. Luke was what was right for me. We had talked everything through and I finally felt like things were falling in place. Being with Harry was only going to hurt me and so was being in love with him.  

Harry's gaze turned into my office and our eyes met. It was slow motion. Every moment between us seemed to be in halftime. I looked at him intently and deeply, my eyes holding his eyes. It was hard to look at him. It physically hurt to even be in his presence, let alone gazing at him.

His mouth was slightly opened as he looked at me. Mine was probably similar, it was incredibly intense. 

My heart was beating a mile a minute and I just knew his was to. What broke this hard look though, was Louis entering into the picture. He clapped Harry on the shoulder, turning his attention away from me. 

I felt my chest relax and my breath released. The moment had barely lasted a minute, but it had felt like years.

Sadly, though, Louis was leading Harry straight into my office. As the door opened, my chest tightened, once again, and my heart rate increased.

"Sammy?" Louis said, opening the door. "Would you mind sitting in on my meeting with Harry?"

"Of course," I agreed, standing up. Harry stood next to him silent, refusing to meet my gaze. I followed them, Harry falling in step with me.

"Hello," he said, walking with long strides. His walk was always incredibly attractive and confident, something I admired greatly. But right now, his walk just reminded me of a happier time. A time when he was an asshole to me, but I loved him. 

"Hey, Harry," I said, my voice quiet and awkward. Finally, after what seemed like ages, he looked at me intently. "How have you been?" 

"Well, yourself?" he asked, his voice buttery. My heart nearly broke everytime he spoke. 

"You know," I shrugged, avoiding the question. How was I supposed to tell him I was terrible. That I missed him. That I missed his banter and his occasional anger. That I missed the hot sex we had, the perfect moments we shared on a daily basis. I loved to hate him and I hated to love him. 

"That doesn't necessarily answer the question," he told me, running a hand through his ever growing hair. I admired his suit and his body as he did this. He was godlike no matter what he wore, but this outfit was clearly doing something even more for him. 

"No it really doesn't," I responded. Finally we arrived at the boardroom and Louis began to speak. 

"So, Harry, I talked to Samantha and she's agreed to help with the new line," Louis said. "Samantha, Harry has agreed to fund this new line, which means you'll probably be working very closely with him, as he gets all final approval. That won't be a problem, though, I'm sure." 

"No, of course not," I answered, looking at Louis and attempting to smile. 

Harry spoke up, "Lou, we should get to the real meeting, I've got things to do." 

"Right, million dollar business and all that," Louis smirked, rolling his eyes.

"Billion," Harry corrected, his cocky smirk once again appearing. That was the smirk I missed. 

Everything for us was so rushed. But I could care less. The thought of getting to work closely with Harry excited me. And the fact that he had decided to fund this project? Even better. But the ever looming thought of Luke stayed over my head.

I would not cheat this time. 

I couldn't.

~

Work went on, and when I finally got to go home, I went gladly. New York looked as lovely as it ever had in the dusk lighting. I passed the usual high end stores and greasy food stands. I turned my head swiftly to get a look at the building at which I worked. It was a skyscraper with hundreds upon hundreds of windows. It still amazed me I worked there. 

"Sorry Miss," said the man that ran into me. I was shocked he even said anything, most people around here didn't even think twice. I nodded at him, but kept moving. 

My feet led me, my heels clicking and my jacket flowing in the slight wind. The winter weather was beginning to move in as November approached. It felt like fall hadn't even happened.

Suddenly, Harry's building came into sight. It was big, like my work, but even glitzier. "Styles" was written across the front of the building, his investment firm was well known all around the city. 

People walked in and out of the building, including famous people I had come to know over the last few weeks. Every part of my being wished to be there with Harry. Sitting with him in his office as he finished up work so we could go grab dinner together at a perfect restaurant with the perfect man.

He had changed my world and now I didn't even have him.