Sherlock: Distracting

This story is dedicated to maze_trials_fangirl because she's from Norway and I think that's awesome

~

You flipped aimlessly through a magazine, bored out of your mind. It was 6 o clock on a Friday night, a time when you preferred to be out doing something - usually eating - but instead, you were sitting inside on your bum. You passed through pictures of happy families, girls modeling the latest fashion trends, and recipes that made your mouth water.

"Sherlooock," you whined. A tinkling of glasses and bubbling water was his response. You lowered the magazine, peering into the kitchen to see what he was up to. He had goggles on and was carefully inspecting a test tube filled with a bright orange substance, and some organ looking object inside. You grimaced, scared to ask what it was. "Sherlock," you tried again.

"Yes?" he asked, not once taking his eyes off of his experiment.

"Can we please go get something to eat?"

"In a minute dear." You crinkled your eyebrows together - the term of endearment was not used to be meaningful, as much as it was used to keep you happy and shut you up. He had been working on this experiment for 3 hours now, and you were supposed to have gone to dinner at 5. You sighed and returned to the magazine. After 5 minutes, you threw it onto the coffee table, tired of looking at the fake smiles pasted on the models. You rubbed your eyes and turned onto your side, deciding to take a nap to pass the time. Slowly you drifted off, and right as you were about to slip into your dreamland, a voice broke through.

"Stop!" Your eyes snapped open, and you found Sherlock looking at you, a very irritated look on his face.

"What?" you muttered, half asleep.

"Don't do that."

"Do what? Sleep?" you asked, confused by his request.

"Yes. It's distracting." You stared, dumbstruck, at him, waiting for an explanation that made sense as to why your peaceful sleeping was such a bother to him.

"Okay, I won't sleep then I guess?" you said, unsure. You got up from the couch, all the while your mind trying to think of why he might be annoyed of you sleeping. Was I snoring? Sleep talking? As you tried to debunk the situation, you headed into the kitchen, deciding to make some tea. You made sure to be extra quiet while getting it ready, and when it finally was, you poured it in a mug and stood silently in the kitchen, staring out the window at the street below. A couple minutes later you heard a frustrated sigh behind you.

"(Y/n), stop." You turned, dumbfounded, to face him. He was inspecting some new substance now, and his eyes flicked towards you briefly.

"Sherlock, I'm not doing anything," you said, starting to get annoyed. He set down the beaker, and sighed, closing his eyes momentarily.

"I'm trying to get work done here and you're distracting me," he said.

"I'm not doing anything to distract you. I've been standing here in silence for the past 5 minutes!" you argued.

"Do you not understand? I'm trying to focus," he fumed, running a hand through his curls. You stood speechless, your mind running in circles trying to figure out what the hell he was talking about. He had put back on his goggles and you watched as he was about to pour some liquid into a beaker. Suddenly, he stopped and turned to you.

"(Y/n), I'm begging you, stop." You shook your head in disbelief at what he was saying - you were literally doing nothing.

"Fine, I'll just leave since me merely standing here and breathing is driving you crazy," you grumbled. He didn't notice though - he was already back working at his experiment. You walked past him, back to the living room. A few footsteps after you passed him, he erupted again.

"For that last time woman, stop distracting me!" You turned around at his outburst, biting your lip in pure anger.

"Bloody hell Sherlock, I just walked past you, that's it. I even held my breath so I wouldn't drive you insane with my silent breathing."

"Well could you be a little less disturbing next time?" he asked, rather rudely. You looked at him, confounded.

"What do you want me to do? Disappear completely so you can't see me at all?" He cocked his head to the side as if he was actually considering the option. You shook your head in angry disbelief, and turned to head back into the living room to cool off.

"I don't know why you're so mad (y/n)! I should be considering I've been interrupted by you numerous times," he said matter of factly.

"I wasn't making any noise or being loud in any way. I was just standing there," you answered with gritted teeth, turning to face him once more.

"Exactly," he said, as if that was the solution to the whole problem. You rubbed your temples, attempting to understand any part of what was going on.

"Sherlock, I'm not in the mood to play mind games. Just tell me how I was so distracting," you sighed, trying to keep your cool.

"You were being you," he stated bluntly.

"Great," you said, sarcastically, throwing your hands into the air,"good to know that my existence itself drives you insane, it's a real self esteem boost." His eyes grew wide, and he took off his goggles as he came towards you.

"No, (y/n), I didn't mean it like that," he said, in all seriousness.

"Okay, sure you didn't Sherlock," you joked bitterly.

"No really. I just, I meant that you, well," he stuttered around his words. He cleared his throat once, then began speaking again.

"It's hard to focus when you're around because you're a very distracting person to me. It's hard for me not to look at you and watch you because I'm very interested in you as a human, and you intrigue me, and even you just standing there messes with my brain and I can't think because I'm only thinking about you, and I don't know why it does that but it happens a lot, especially when you're wearing that perfume and sporting those," he stole a glimpse down at your legs, "shorts." Astonished at what he said, you just stood there, staring at him. He studied you carefully, probably trying to deduce your reaction to his confession that pretty much said, "I'm so attracted to you that it's hard to focus on anything but you."

"Okay see, exactly like that," he said, knitting his eyebrows together, gesturing to how you just stood there. You smiled proudly. Who knew you had the power to make this high functioning sociopath detective so crazy? Wrapping your arms around his neck, you stood on your tiptoes and pecked him lightly on the lips. He crinkled his nose, and blushed lightly, fighting back a smile.

"I apologize for being so distracting," you said, looking up at him with your puppy dog eyes.

"I'll forgive you, but only if you leave and go into another room so I can finish this experiment," he requested.

"Fine, but you have to promise we'll go out to eat after this," you negotiated.

"Deal," he said, his lips brushing lightly against the side of your head, and you were caught off guard momentarily by his affection. Talk about distracting.

A/N

So Thanksgiving is tomorrow... And I'm thankful for you all for reading my story, and commenting, and voting. It's truly an honor! I mean I just reached 20,000 reads last night. That's insanity. So thank you thank you thank you!

I hope you guys have a great day tomorrow, enjoy the food! And if you don't celebrate Thanksgiving, I still hope you have a great day! :)

Word up

^ (I don't know if that actually means something, but it just popped into my mind)