John: Fireworks

Request for @superwhotreklock_

(I apologize - had to change 4th of July to a different event where fireworks are used in the UK)

(Martin is a babe in this pic while holding a cat)
~

You glanced around sadly as everyone began to zip up their raincoats and open their umbrellas. It was early November, November 5th to be exact, so it was no surprise the rain had come. You hoped and prayed it would hold out long enough for the firework show, but just as you, John, and of course Sherlock, had laid your blanket out to sit on, the drops came. They were small drops, a light misty rain, but that was enough to stop the whole show.

"I really thought it wasn't going to rain," you whined, resting your head on John's shoulder. Sherlock, who was sitting on the other side of John, looked at you and asked with an annoyed voice,

"Is this your first time in the UK, let alone rainy England?" You glared at him, not in the mood for his know-it-all comments. John reached for your hand and squeezed it.

"We can watch the fireworks on TV," he reassured you. There was a sense of peace in his eyes, one you hadn't seen since you announced yesterday that you would be attending a firework show. When you asked him why he hadn't wanted to go, he had acted like he had no idea what you were talking about, kissed your forehead, and sipped his tea. Normally you would have bothered him for the rest of the day, clinging to him everywhere he went, until he got irritated enough and told you. But there had been something different about the way he clenched his teeth slightly and kept his eyes concentrated on the TV, no cheeky glances towards you.

"Okay," you said, deciding to give in easily this time. You and John hopped up from the blanket, but Sherlock remained sitting; he was typing very intensely on his mobile. "Sherlock get up," you ordered. He didn't glance up, just continued texting. You glanced at the darkened sky. The rain has stopped for now, but you saw an approaching storm cloud, the mass of it taking up a good chunk of the sky. "Sherlock seriously, it's going to start raining again." He continued to type, his fingers moving at a rapid speed.

"John!" you called. He was loading stuff into the car, and came over to where you stood. "He's doing it again."

"Sherlock, c'mon, get up. You can text in the car," he urged. Immediately, Sherlock got up and made his way to the vehicle, not even looking where he was walking. You cleaned up the blankets, and headed back to the car. You went to open the trunk, but it was locked. You tried to open your passenger door, but that was locked too.

"Sherlock!" you yelled, pounding on the door. You looked through the window - he was still texting. "John, do you have the keys?"

"No, they're in the ignition," he replied, coming up to walk to you. You grunted angrily, and pounded on the door some more. Sherlock continued to sit on his phone.

"You have to be kidding me," you muttered. You crossed your arms, and John gave you a soft look.

"Hey at least it's not raining." A drop fell on your forehead, then another. John bit his lip, trying not to laugh at your murderous look.

"Spoke to soon," you growled through gritted teeth. He gave you a loving look and leaned to kiss you on the cheek, but you heard a click and you jumped into the car, leaving John to fend for himself. You watched him run to the driver side and get in.

"Why were you guys just standing out in the rain?" asked Sherlock boredly. You were about to respond with a rude remark, but a warm hand rested on your thigh and a look from John shut you up. But then John turned around, addressing Sherlock with a fiercely dry tone,

"Because a bloody sociopath locked us out."

~

After dropping off Sherlock, you and John and sped home, watching the sky change from grey to black. Once home, you showered and slipped on some pajamas, then crawled underneath the warm covers. John joined you minutes later. It was only 10:00, but being angry at Sherlock and standing out in the rain had taken its toll on you. You two didn't speak; he just kissed your cheek, making up for what he missed on outside of the car earlier. You snuggled close to him, and he ran his fingers soothingly up and down your arm. You drifted into your unconscious dreamland...

BOOM

You sat up in bed, your heart racing. The room lit up in a beam of light, and you calmed a little knowing it was just thunder and lightning - not a murderous psychopath in your apartment. You'd be surprised how often that happens, you thought to yourself. You felt a shaking form next to you under the blankets, and you pulled them back to reveal a shivering John, sweat gleaming on his face in the moonlight. You flipped on the bedside lamp, then looked back worriedly at him. He grunted lightly, then tossed and turned in bed, flailing his arms around.

"John! John!" you called, shaking him to wake him up. His eyes clenched and he yelled out as another clap of thunder sliced the sound barrier of the room. You panicked, realizing he was experiencing an episode of his PTSD. "John," you tried again, shaking him harder this time. He finally woke up, but he was unrecognizable. His eyes were fierce and on fire, burning with loss and guilt.

"I left them, left them all. I could've helped them but -" he lost his breath. Staring up at the ceiling.

"John," you whispered, not sure what to say; you never knew exactly what to say. "None of it was your fault." He closed his eyes, his jaw visibly flexing. "You did what you could, and that's what matters." His body tensed up in anger, and you laid a light hand against his face. He relaxed, then opened his eyes to look at you. They were glazed with tears and sadness that had built up over years. He grabbed you and pulled you down to him. You rested your head against his beating heart, listening to it steadily slow down until it was the only thing you heard and you drifted into your unconscious dreamland once more...

A/N

Hey guys no worries, I'm still alive.

It's been a really long couple weeks. School stuff, family stuff, sports stuff... But soon it will be over. After this week all my testing with FINALLY be over. No more crazy homework assignments. No more stress (Well besides the 3 failed math tests I have to make up, whoops).

I'm going to hopefully update again soon, but I have a mountainous amount of studying and homework for this week that I need to have done by Sunday.

Hopefully it won't be another 10 days till the next update (those were the longest 10 days of my life)

On the bright side

I watched "The Abominable Bride" last night. Felt good. Needed that dose to push me through and finish this story I had been working on for forever!

Random: What's your favorite type of pizza? If you've never had pizza, would like to try it, and if so, what kind? (I'm eating slices of pepperoni pizza as we speak)