Sherlock: Babynapped

Request for @wandar90

Continuation of the same couple from "The Arranged Marriage"

~

Your POV

The pain broke through every inch of your body, just as seconds later a wail broke the bustle of the room. You exhaled in delight, finally done with all the pain, and finally able to see your newborn baby. You and Sherlock had decided to wait and find out the gender after it was born, and you looked at Sherlock, who was cupping your right hand with both of his hands, and his eyes shared the same eagerness yours did. He had been quiet through the whole labor, actually ever since your water broke, his eyes wide in fright, trying to absorb this new scene, but staying by your side the whole time. You called out to the nurses, asking them if you could see your bundle of joy, but they stood with their backs to you, all huddled around a table.

"Is... Is there something wrong?" you whispered. Terror struck at your heart - the ultrasound had revealed nothing that had worried the doctors, they claimed your baby was as healthy as any other. Finally, a nurse broke free from the group, and she moved slowly to your bed.

"We have to take your child to the ICU, something went wrong during the birth process." Your eyes welled with tears, and you squeezed Sherlock's hands.

"What's wrong? Will they be okay?" The nurse nodded solemnly and made her way back to the table. You watched as two nurses and a doctor pushed your crying jewel out on a mini gurney. The room was suddenly quiet. Too quiet.

"Sherlock," you squeaked in a tiny voice, "I don't even know if our baby is a boy or girl. I don't even know what they look like. They took our baby. I want our baby Sherlock." Your tears turned into sobs, and you buried your face in your hands. Slowly, he peeled your hands away and wrapped them around him. He eased onto the side of the bed, and gently pushed your head down till it relaxed on his chest. He stayed frigid, not moving, just breathing. Once you had somewhat gathered yourself, you looked up at him. He himself had tiny trails of tears down his cheeks, and his eyes were closed. When he felt you move, he opened his eyes and you exchanged a thousand words between the two of you. Worries mostly. The moment, however, was interrupted when a middle age man entered the room with a nurse tailing him.

"Who's ready to deliver a baby?" he asked, happiness radiating from his pearly white teeth.

"Wrong room. We've already delivered," answered Sherlock coldly.

"But isn't this Mr. and Mrs. Holmes?" You and Sherlock exchanged confused glances, as did the doctor and the nurse.

"But a doctor and two nurses already took our baby to the ICU," you explained in a shaky voice, barely able to finish the sentence.

"That's impossible," argued the doctor. "I was scheduled to deliver your baby. What's the doctor's name that delivered yours?" You shrugged slightly and looked to Sherlock.

"Dr. Freifau," he answered. The nurse and doctor eyed each other.

"There's no doctor here, that works in the birthing unit, scheduled with that name. We'll have someone check the ICU for your baby. Is it a boy or girl?" Now it was your and Sherlock's turn to exchange sorrowful glances.

"We don't know, they never told us." The doctor's eyes widened; he looked outraged.

"By law they are required to tell you," he said sternly. He whispered something to the nurse, and she scurried away. Silence again filled the room. The air inside smelled of cleaning product and loss. Sherlock and you stayed in each other's arms, too scared to let the other go in case one would be taken away, just as your baby had been. Finally, the nurse returned. She whispered something into the doctor's ear. His eyes widened, and he whispered back furiously. Then, he cleared his throat and spoke.