Awkward Encounters

Ross' POV:

"Finally," she breathes, "hey." My legs take me to the side of her bed where I sit in the small chair, linking my hand through hers as I just take her in. Somehow she still manages to be the most beautiful thing I have ever seen even though her body is occupied with ugly things such as scratches and bruises. "Are you okay?" I finally speak causing her to giggle, her eyelashes batting when she glances around the room before meeting my eyes again, "I think I'm okay yeah. How are you?" "Can I get you anything? Some food or ice chips, or maybe help you get to the bathroom? Or-" "Ross," she smiles, and let me tell you, it's never felt so good to hear someone say my name, "I'm fine. I really just want to sit here with you. I want to stare at your handsome face and hold your hand. I want to have a normal conversation that doesn't revolve around this accident. I want you to kiss me-" "I think I could do that last one right now if you want me to." I smile making her return the gesture as she breaks our hands apart and puts hers on the back of my neck, bringing my face closer to her own. Our lips meet in a easy and subtle kiss that makes a satisfactory smacking noise when we pull away, her mouth finding mine again, eyes still closed.

The sound of the door opening causes me to quickly pull away from Laur, my hand linking with hers as soon as the doctor walks around the corner, clipboard in hand. "How are you feeling Ms. Marano?" he smiles, glancing between the two of us. "My head is the only thing that is really bothering me." "That's expected. When the two cars met, you hit your head pretty hard which is why we were surprised to see no head damage. Other than that, you have a few minor cuts and bruises that should heal in no time." "So she gets to come home soon?" I speak up, hopeful, squeezing Laura's palm. "We want to keep you over night just to run a few more head tests to make sure we didn't miss anything the first time through, but if nothing is found, you should be able to head out tomorrow afternoon. We'll make sure to send home some pain killers to help with the head pain that will last for at least a week."  "Thank you so much." Laura smiles. "A nurse will be in every few hours to check in." he nods before heading out.

"I wonder how the other driver is." she speaks, her attention on playing with my fingers. "Hopefully learning the consequences of drunk driving." "Ross-" "I mean, he could have took you from me Laur. Things could have been much, much worse, and that scares the hell out of me. I'm just so glad you're okay." I press a kiss to one of the cuts on her forehead making her lightly smile, eyes averting away from mine as the smile dissapears. "What? What's wrong?" I ask. "Even if he was drunk, he didn't cause the accident." she speaks quietly. "But the doctor and everyone said the cause of the accident was drunk driving-" "I was mad at you. I remember just wanting to get as far away from you as possible. Then you were playing on the radio and blowing up my phone. My concentration wasn't on the road. I was too busy trying to get my phone from the passenger seat that I didn't notice I was in the other lane. I was the one that caused the accident, not the other driver." "Laura, you can't think like this-" "Think like what? The truth?" her eyes squint in my direction. "Well if he wasn't drunk, he could have at least tried to prevent the accident from happening." "I was in his lane. This wasn't his fault so why do you keep trying to make excuses on my part?" she asks, eyebrows furrowed as she stares at me.

I loosen my hand from her's linking my own together in my lap as I stare at the ground, "I don't want to fight when I just got you back."  "I'm sorry. I just didn't want to put the blame on someone when I feel like it's not their fault." she speaks making me shake my head, a slight smile on my lips. Classic Laura, wanting everything to be okay and fair at all times. Our eyes meet again when she reaches out for my hand, my lips kissing the top of her hand before fully linking them together as she scoots over, motioning with her hand that is not linked with mine to join her on the small bed. When I am positioned beside her, her head on my chest, silence has taken over us as I run my free hand through her hair causing her eyes to close at the simple motion.

"Why were you mad?" I whisper. She stays silent though I can tell she's thinking about her response, "I thought you didn't want to fight." "I don't which is why I want to know why you were mad so I can possibly fix it." Her eyes open and meet mine, "Can I just start with the fact that I have never questioned anything you do nor would want to push you into something you wouldn't want to do. You fill every possible need for me when it comes to this relationship." "Well, I'm glad you feel that way, but I'm still lost." "I heard you talking to Rocky and Ryland at breakfast-" The discussion comes back to me making me sit up, eyes searching her face, "Laur, no. I didn't mean anything bad by what I said. At first when they started asking the questions, I didn't expect them to pester me like they did. I didn't like the questions they were asking so I just blabbed on about having needs like every other teenage guy. And while that might be true, I don't want nor need to have that need fulfilled until you're ready as well." She bites down on her bottom lip, smile showing as she stares back at me, leaning to press a small peck to my lips. "I'm guessing my reasoning was okay?" I grin. "Come here, handsome." she laughs, motioning for me to lay back down beside her. My lips press numerous kisses to her head once she is leaning on my chest once again, flipping through the channels.

---------

My eyes open to hands shaking me causing me to meet brown eyes that make me smile slightly when I see them even in my tired state. "Everything okay, Laur?" "It's pretty late. I thought you might want to go home and get in your own bed so you can get more comfortable than this cramped hospital bed." "No, I'm okay." I shake my head, leaning back against the pillows once again. "You're sure? You're not too uncomfortable are you?" I laugh, running a hand up and down her arm, grinning when I feel chill bumps rise on the surface, "My ultimate comfort is wherever you are." Her lips leave a kiss on my chin until I lean my head down in order to allow our lips to touch, making a funny face when we pull away that makes her giggle. "I love you." she speaks as she continues to laugh. "I love you so much more." I lick my lips, watching her smile light up her whole face.

"Hi, sorry to interrupt," a voice starts, Laura and I both turning to find the owner of the voice smiling at us, "I just wanted to know if I could get you anything Laura." My girlfriend smiles at Maia as I tense, remembering our most recent conversation, "I'm actually okay right now," Laura speaks, turning so our eyes can meet, "Why didn't you tell me Maia was here?" "Must have slipped my mind once I knew you were okay again. I just wanted to spend time with you." I manage my best smile, glancing at Maia. Laura furrows her eyebrows at my awkward act, turning back towards Maia, "I'm sorry. If I would have known you were here, I would have told someone to tell you to come in a long time ago so we could talk." "Oh, don't apologize, I'm sure Ross did really mean well. I mean he is like the perfect boyfriend, right?" Maia speaks, eyes meeting mine as my throat goes dry, eyes narrowing slightly at her, head tilting to the side. "Something like that," Laura laughs, "but come sit. I didn't even know you were in LA." Maia starts her fake speech about being here for an audition once sitting in the chair beside the bed when I slip from the bed after pressing a quick kiss to Laura's cheek, "I'm going to get a water, you want anything?" Laura shakes her head, "Be back soon?" "Of course." I lean to peck her lips before exiting the room, Maia and Laura laughing is the last thing I hear before the door shuts behind me, a sigh escaping my lips as I run my hands through my hair.