Chapter 37: Sarah Dowell

Don't forget to vote&comment, our loves!
~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

His eyes struck up to look at me.

The coldness in them was momentarily replaced with curiosity and another dark feeling; their sea-color was now more glowing than ever, as he fixed me.

He let go of the documents he was holding in hands, and he entangled his fingers together, as he laid them elegantly over the desk.

His jaw twitched for a moment, in preparation for him to say what he is thinking off.

"How... do you know him?" he finally voiced.

The word 'you' came out as if I was not born in this world to meet the human Harveston Hamlington. It was as if the last thing he'd expected on earth was for me to question him about this particular human. His voice was still ice though, not a single emotion displayed.

Oh, but I could tell I got him. Whether in a cold voice or not, he did display interest.

I wet my lips.

"What's between you and him? I-I asked first!" I pouted.

I won't let him distract me from the point I want to know! His question did nothing but put my theories just in place!

They know each other. Harvey knows Mr. Ellington! And vice-versa.

No. And I can almost swear what connects them is not just common knowledge... It was a grudge ─and from the looks of it, a mutual one.

But, what was there? What happened between them? And what's the connection of Mr. Leonard to the subject?

God, I want to know!!

His eyes darkened, and a muscle somewhere in his face twitched.

"How do you know him?" he repeated, annoyance a bit clear in his voice, as he fixed his heavy black watch on his right hand.

Okay, he most surely is annoyed. I just need to see him move his wristwatch slightly to know that.

Crap, he did this twice today! He won't brook any further discussion.

I gulped.

I can't go against that any further.

My voice came out low, and uncertain.

"Before I answer, I want... you to promise me." I started softly.

He eyed me, his eyes freezing.

I ignored his cold behavior, and opened my mouth to speak.

Dang! Words did not come out!

Yes, I was a bit scared to say the words I was going to say.

I got this feeling they were not particularly words to be said to the great mighty Rickard Ellington Conway.

I took a deep breath, and my voice again came out soft, and low.

"Please don't lie to me."

He, for only a second, looked taken aback by what I said, for his eyes widened a little tiny millimeter, but quickly went back to their composed form.

"I... could have asked Mr. Leonard about the whole thing, or even Harveston himself." I continued slowly.

I looked into his eyes, directly.

"But, I didn't." I stated simply.

I turned my face away from him at that, to hide my blush.