Angel with the Demon Eyes Part 3

Again Flashback and dream sequences are in italics. Watch Remy and little Anna Marie make there escape.

Again, she felt as if she could trust this boy. He was the one who calmed her down when she was scared and had freed her from the restraints and took care of the guard who had caught them trying to escape. What she didn't understand was why the woman called Tess let them go. The woman obviously worked for the man who kidnapped her, so why let them escape? So many things she did not understand. First of which was why they took her in the first place.

Right now, she didn't care why. She just wanted to be far away from here as possible.

"Come on, chere," Remy said as he stopped by a metal ladder. "De train near here."

"How do you know?" she asked.

"Hear dat rumblin'? An' dat whistle. Only trains make dat sound."

"Never thought 'bout it before," she said as he helped her up the ladder.

When she reached the top, she found the grate was too heavy to move. Remy was right behind her. With his added strength they were able to move it. As she stepped onto the ground she breathed in the air, not the cleanest air, but she didn't know how long it had been since she had been outside. Remy soon joined her. He looked around to see where the entrance to the station was.

"Let's go," he said ad grabbed her hand.

"How we gonna get on the train without any money?" Anna Marie asked.

"Don' worry. I got a plan," he said. He went inside pretending he was with a young couple who had just walked in. He looked up at the train schedule and saw the departure times. There it was, t arain bound for New Orleans. That was two hours from now. He sneaked out and rejoined Anna Marie. "There's a train leavin' in two hours."

"What's ya plan?" she asked.

"Simple, we jump it," he said.

Anna Marie looked skeptical. He led her to a clearing that was close to the train station. It took them close to an hour to get there. She sat on the grass pulling at the blades in boredom. He sat down next to her, noticing for the first time the bruise on her face.

"Dey do dat ta you?" he asked, pointing to the bruise on her cheek.

She put a hand over the bruise, embarrassed for him to see it. "Yeah, that guard did it... after ah kinda bit him."

"You bit that guy," Remy said chuckling. "Good, dat bastard deserve it."

The thought made her smile. Then her voice became sullen when he asked, "Why ya save me?"

"Why not? Saved myself too," he said as he looked down the train track to see if anything was coming.

"Ya could have escaped on your own," she said. "Ah was only slowin' ya down."

"Didn't wanna leave you there, dat's all," he said. "Had a dream 'bout a girl like you. She begged me ta help her, not leave her there. Den I saw you an' I knew you was dat girl."

"Ya had a dream 'bout me?" Anna Marie asked, astonished by his words. "I had a dream 'bout you too, an angel with demon eyes."

"I ain't no angel," he said and looked away from her. "Jus' some poor orphan. Dat's why dey took me. Ain't nobody gonna miss some street kid wid no home."

"Ya ain't gotta home?" Anna Marie asked. "Ah thought every kid had a home."

"Naw, ain't never had one. My parents dumped me when I was a baby. Lived in an orphanage for a while, but I ran away. Nobody want a kid wid demon eyes. Dey say I was evil."

"They're wrong," she said shaking her head from side to side." Ya saved me. Can't be all bad if ya do that."

"You got a home?" he asked.

"Yeah, with Momma and Auntie Re. Don't gotta a Daddy," she said in answer to his question. "Momma said he left when ah was a baby."

"Sorry 'bout dat," he said, his voice sympathetic. "Must be worried about you. Where you live anyway?"

"Mississippi," she answered, saying the word as best she could. "A little house by a pond. Get to go swimmin' there sometimes." Her eyes became sad, and she lowered her head towards the ground. "Ah miss it."

"We'll find a way ta get you back dere," he said, putting his hand over hers and padding it gently. "Ttil den ah'll take care a you."

"How ya gonna do that?" she asked.

"Trust me," he said. "Just like I got you outta dat place."

She nodded in agreement. Somehow, she knew this boy wouldn't let anything bad happen to her. She heard a noise, almost like thunder and looked up. She didn't see anything yet, but Remy got up off the ground. He looked down at her offering his hand.

"Train's comin' soon. Gotta be ready. Timin's gotta be jus' right."

Anna Marie stayed close to Remy. He led her behind a nearby tree. "Dey always lookin' out for jumpers, so stay hidden. We gonna jump in one of the box cars."

"While the train still movin'?"

"Yeah, we hide in one of dose until de next stop," he said, but she looked confused. "Don' worry, I done dis plenty a times."

"Okay," Anna Marie said. She was scared of doing this, but it was kind of exciting. She had only seen it done in movies but never thought to try it herself.

The train was coming by. Car after car passed, and Remy tugged a little on Anna Marie's arm. She ran with him as he spotted an open box car. "Right there!" he said loudly over the noise of the train. "On three we jump, okay." She nodded in agreement. "One...Two...Three..."

Anna Marie followed suit and jumped with Remy. Her little voice let out a scream. They barely made it into the boxcar, the impact of the moving train rolling their bodies to the far side the rectangular compartment. Remy struggled to get the door closed, and with the wind produced from the fast-moving train it was hard. Anna Marie crawled over to the door to help, but it was no use. They were not strong enough. Suddenly they felt themselves going downhill and the door slammed shut. Remy quickly latched it.

Anna Marie was on the floor of the boxcar trying to catch her breath when Remy looked over at her. "That was fun," Remy said and laughed.

"Think so," Anna Marie said and laughed as well.

Rogue awakened to see two laughing children playing paddy cake, neither couldn't have been more than six years old. She realized she had had that dream again, the dream about the angel boy with the demon eyes. She had had many dreams of him over the years. In some dreams he was older, but she hadn't dreamed of him as a child for a long time. Was it really a dream? She wondered as she touched the butterfly necklace. He was as real as the jewelry that hung snugly at her neck. She lay back again still feeling sleepy hoping he would come to her dreams again.

The adventure continues next time as our pint sized duo makes it to New Orleans. Will they find trouble?