Hidden Memories: Part 4

Rogue returned home that day with more questions. She was quiet all the way home riding in Lance's jeep and even ignored Toad's teasing. All she could really think about was being in that utility closet and kissing Remy, and she was able to do it all because of that gem.

She couldn't make sense of all the memory fragments that were popping up. They were jumbled and didn't make sense, but it seemed the only time she felt like herself was when she was around Remy. She had to know the truth, and it seemed he was closer to it than she was.

Fred noticed that she was eating more than usual and wondered if she was trying to outdo him. If she was planning on sneaking out tonight, she didn't want to pass out halfway down the driveway. She turned in early telling everyone that she was tired. The other boys didn't seem at all interested but Fred looked concerned.

She ran up the stairs and looked at the time. It was 7:30, and she had several hours before she was to meet Remy in the park. It was a half hour walk so she could leave no later than 9:30pm. She would have to take the back way out. The boys were going out later, but Mystique's curfew was midnight, not that the boys ever abided by it. Rogue never went out at night, mostly because she had no reason to, so to keep up the pretense it was best to sneak out. If everyone thought she was in bed asleep, Mystique would have no reason to send out a search party, and the boys would just end up resenting her for invading their leisure time.

Until it was time to take off, she decided to sit back on her bed and read. She still hadn't finished Interview with a Vampire, but since she read it twice already and seen the movie only about ten times, she knew how it would end. One thing Aunt Irene always complained about with her was all the horror movies she watched and vampire and monster books she seemed to like to read so much.

The time seemed to go slow and after about an hour she put down her book and looked in the mirror. She was a bit disheveled. Her makeup had worn off and her hair was a mess. It had grown a bit since leaving Caldecott, but her signature white streak remained and decided she was going to change clothes. She couldn't go out dressed in her sweatpants and t-shirt, so she looked through her closet. She didn't have anything really dressy, and for some reason she wanted to look nice for Remy.

She picked out a pair of black jeans and black top with the string straps. It showed off her figure very well without looking overly trashy. She chose her green transparent over lay for safety reasons more than anything, and her black leather jacket. She had a pair of silk gloves sitting on her dresser that she always wore to school, but they went with anything she wore. There was a lack of pink in her wardrobe and for good reason. She wasn't a girly girl and never would be, and loathed the color. She ran a brush through her hair and put on some makeup. She used softer shades then she normally did but still maintained her Goth look.

She glanced over at the clock and saw that it was almost 9:30pm, and it was time to make her escape. Somehow, she felt she was planning a jailbreak. The house was quiet, but she could hear Mystique in her study talking to someone on the phone. The boys were gone, so this would make it easy to sneak out.

She quietly walked out the back door through the kitchen and left through the small gate and was careful to make sure it didn't creak too much. She hadn't done a sneak-out since she lived with Irene, but with her she always got caught. She would have to find a way to sneak back in without anyone knowing and had made sure to stuff up the pillows so if anyone would open her door, they would think she was still sleeping.

She took the long way around so no one would see her, and this street had some nosy neighbors, and she didn't want word getting back to Mystique that someone had seen her walking the streets at night. She walked as fast as she could, but she managed to get to the park a few minutes before ten. Now, she had to find the old oak tree, spotting it almost instantly. She waited there for several minutes before slumping down on the ground, but soon felt a shadow looming over her. Looked up, she saw that it was Remy staring down at her.