The Trouble With Assassins: Part 2

Remy left his apartment that morning and rode his motorcycle over to Mercy's Diner. He parked his bike in the alley and walked slowly over to the place. Looking through the window, he saw the girl he met last night over in the corner booth. He went inside and casually walked up to her.

"May I join you?" he asked politely.

She looked up and gasped when she saw him. "What are ya doin' here?"

"Same as you? Havin' a little breakfast. T'ought ya might be lonely," he said and sat down opposite her.

"Ah didn't say ya could sit down," she said.

"An' you didn't say I couldn't either," he said, reaching across the table for her gloved hand. She quickly pulled it away before he could touch her.

"Why you do dat?" he asked.

"What?" she asked, confused by his statement.

"Pull away," he said in a quiet voice. His eyes bore into hers which made her look away. "Just wanted to touch your hand is all."

"Ah just don't like people touchin', me," she said nervously. She folded her hands over her chest looking down. "It ain't safe."

He didn't fully understand what she meant by that, but let it go for now. Then he thought back to last night. He had touched her skin for a brief second and felt weak afterwards, and now he felt the fear in her. She was afraid, but maybe not so much of others particularly but maybe herself. He was determined to learn all her secrets, but it would take time.

"Here you go, Miss," the waitress came over and said, while carrying a plate of food. She placed a plate in front of her with a bacon omelet on it with four sausage links and a piping hot cup of coffee. "Is everything to your liking?"

"Sure," Rogue said with a half-smile trying to be polite. "Everything's fine."

The waitress turned to Remy and gave him a hungry look. "So, what's your pleasure, handsome?" she asked in a seductive voice. She batted her eyelashes and gave him a big smile, while leaning close to him. "Should I tell you the breakfast specials?"

Rogue threw him a look of disgust. "Non, I'll jus' have what she's havin', but make my coffee black."

"Anything you want," she said and walked away wiggling her hips in her short tight powder blue uniform. Remy couldn't help but notice.

He looked over at Rogue who was practically mutilating her food. "Somet'ing wrong, Chere?"

She then looked up at him but didn't say anything, just glared at him and went back to eating. Remy just laughed at her behavior. "What's so funny?" she finally said after swallowing a piece of sausage.

"You," he said, letting his laughter die down a little. "You actin' like a jealous girlfriend."

"That's ridiculous," Rogue said, putting her fork down. "It's obvious you like her, so go annoy her and leave me alone."

"You t'ink I like dat girl?" he asked.

"Well, you were lookin' at her," Rogue said matter-a-factly.

"So, I like lookin' at pretty girls. What wrong wid dat?" Rogue was about to say something, but Remy beat her to it. "I like lookin' at you, even more den dat girl. Somethin' special about you, Chere. I knew dat de moment I saw you."

"You don't even know me," she said.

"I'd like to," he said, trying to reach for her hand. She pulled away, placing her hands in her lap. "Forgot, you don' like touchin'. Dat what you said, Chere."