School Daze: Part 2

It's Tara and Bruno first Danger room session: code names Black Fairy and Tidalwave.

The girls took the elevator down to the lower levels, and Tara was still in awe of the place. It was like some hidden military complex. Anyone on the outside would have seen this place as an ordinary mansion turned boarding school.

Still, it was exciting being part of all of this. Tara had called her sister the day before and just told her that she was staying with friends but didn't tell her where or how long.

She had made the effect to talk to her mother but the woman refused. That more than anything hurt her. She was a mutant, but before her powers manifested, she was a fairly good daughter. She received decent grades in school, and she never did drugs. Even though she and Bruno had sex a few times, they always took precautions.

It did shock her mother to know she used an IUD, but any other mother would be relieved to know that she was at least being responsible. That was not the way it was with her mother. It seemed no matter what she did, it was the wrong, and her mother always made it seem like Tara was just going these things to make her life a living hell. She never let Tara forget that she was in fact a disgrace, and her recent silence just confirmed that opinion.

It didn't matter anymore because now she had a new life, and with Bruno, someone she knew loved her for all she was. There was a look of anxiety on her face as Jean punched in a code on the keypad and those metal doors opened. She stepped inside at Kitty's prompting and saw just a large empty metal room.

"You look disappointed," Kitty said as she looked over at Tara.

"No, I just thought there would be... well... more," Tara said.

"There is," the regal voice of the one they called Storm said. Tara was told she would be the one to help her with her flying, since she was so new to it and Storm was an old pro compared to her. "Today we're just going to do a test run."

"I'm just a little nervous about all this," she said as Bruno came to stand next to her. He took her hand holding it to transfer a little courage, which was what she needed right now.

"All new recruits are first," Storm said in a quiet voice. She silently took a roll call. "Well, since we are all here, let's get started." There was Tara and Bruno as well as Scott, the team leader and Jean and Kitty. The other two girls were there mostly to observe.

Bruno and Tara were paired up and their objective was to take down the obstacles so the rest of the team could glide on through safely. Storm stayed up in the control room and punched up the training sequence and the recording mechanism.

"Let's begin," she said, and Scott gave Tara and Bruno the instructions of what they were supposed to do. They had to make it from one end of the Danger Room to the other and lead the team to safety.

Tara had her wings out and ready to take flight when the time came. Bruno was also ready to throw a water bomb if need be. They walked two steps and heard a noise coming from above. A wall of flame appeared and Bruno immediately raised his hands up and drowned the fire with a blast of water.

They took a few more steps and metal tentacles came out and grabbed Tara's arms lifting her up in the air. Bruno gave it a thin blast of water, hitting the joint like a pistol breaking off on the arm. The metal loosened releasing one of Tara's arms. She caught the metal strap with her hand and used it to pound the other metal tentacle until it released her. She was then falling to the floor, but her wings spread giving her enough leverage to pull herself up before hitting the floor.

"Well, done, Black Fairy," Storm said, using her codename. They were more than halfway across when two metal tentacles strung out of the floor holding Bruno's feet hostage. He blasted it with water, but two more tentacles came out but Black Fairy caught him and lifted him up into the air before the metal monstrosities could claim him again.

"Hey, my hero," Bruno said and gave Tara a wink, but as they were flying small blast were coming from the far side of the Danger Room, but Bruno kept alert and blasted each one with a small powerful blast of water. Once all the obstacles were dealt with Tara and Bruno landed on the finish line and their team ran over to congratulate them.

"Hey, Bruno, not bad for a first timer," Scott said and gave him a pat on the back.

"The name's Tidalwave," he said and Tara gave a chuckle.

"Here I was going to start calling him water boy," she said jokingly.

"Girlfriends," Bruno said rolling her eyes and shaking his head, but Tara gave him a dirty look.

"Watch it," Tara said, "or you're going to be dateless for the rest of your high school life."

The five teenagers were conversing and laughing for a good five minutes until Storm approached. "The two of you did very well for a first session."

"Thanks, Teach," Tara said and then Storm had a serious look on her face.

"Now, Tara, after school I want to have a one on one session with you... just to help you with your flying."

"Oh, alright," Tara said, and she looked excited.

They all left the Danger Room on a high, and Tara's anxieties seem to fade away. She thought to herself that this was the best move her and Bruno could have made. They had just enough time for breakfast, and then it was off to school, their first day at Bayville high.

To Be Continued...

I think for the next scene I'll do and training session with Logan and Gambit. Sound like a good idea?