Keeping Up the Pretense: Part 3

The rest of the school day seemed the drag on, and Rogue was still nervous that Fred was going to rat her and Remy out. She and Fred barely spoke in art class, but after the bell rang he grabbed her arm before she could take off.

"Hey, Rogue, umm...look. I don't know what's going on with you and that guy, but I won't tell. I promise." He raised up his right hand, gesturing that he truly meant it.

"Thanks, Fred," Rogue said, looking relieved. As she gathered her books she continued, "Oh, tell the boys I'll be home later and not to wait for me."

"Sure," he said and left the room. She wasn't about to tell him why. If he thought she was actually friends and another X-Man she didn't think he could handle that, but it was nice to know that he was in fact her ally.

She walked out of the classroom on her way to her locker to gather her books. Tara would be waiting for her, so she would have to hurry. She looked inside her notebook and skimmed over her list to see what books she needed. She picked up her math and history book. She had a paper due on Monday, and she barely started it. She dumped the books in her bag and closed her locker door and walked as quickly as she could without running down the hallway.

She went out the back exit nearest the football field. The team was out practicing or rather showing off for their female admirers. She just rolled her eyes and scoffed at the pathetic display for attention.

She raced over to the other side of the bleachers and looked around and saw Tara standing there. She was wearing a red baggy sweater and her dark blue jean jacket. Back in Caldecott she would always wear more revealing clothes, but since her powers came into play, she had to hide certain things. No one knew about her wings at school except for the X-kids, the Brotherhood and of course their principal.

"You made it," Tara said and gave her a quick hug.

Rogue didn't have her necklace and was a little wary about touching people without it, but Tara understood about her powers and was careful not to touch her skin.

"So why did ya want to meet me?" Rogue asked.

"Well, it's simple," Tara said. "I asked you to meet me to tell you to drop this farce."

"If you mean finding out the truth, ah can't, Tara," Rogue said as she stepped behind the bleachers so no one would see her. "She manipulated me, kidnapped and drugged to keep me from rememberin'," Rogue said, her becoming a little shaky towards the end. "Ah have to know why someone would go through that trouble."

"But what if she finds out what you're doin?" Tara asked.

"She won't, and if she does ah'll deal with it," Rogue said and she heard some voices. She looked and saw it was some of the girls that were ogling the football players earlier.

"You know how dangerous this is?" Tara whispered as they moved deeper into the bleachers.

"Yes, ah do, and ah don't want her coming after you. If she ever found out that you switched that drug she would go after you, and ah ain't about to let that happen."

"Remy said you would be stubborn," Tara said, still watching out for anyone who might approach.

"Did he put you up to this?" Rogue asked. There was a bit of an angry look in her eye.

"No, he doesn't know anything about it and neither does Bruno." Tara had a worried look on her face. "Look, Rogue I'm just worried about you. What if anyone in that house finds out about you and Remy?"

"They already did," Rogue said and looked away which made Tara very nervous. "Fred kind of caught us in the bathroom, and they sort of got into a fight."

"What?" Tara said with a look of horror on her face. "That does it. Now, everyone is going to know, and that will put you in danger."

"No, it won't because he said he wouldn't say anything," Rogue said trying to convince Tara, but she didn't look like she believed it. "He's my friend and ah trust him."

"Are you sure?" Tara asked not looking at all convinced.

"Yeah, ah think so," Rogue said and looked at her phone and saw that it was getting late. "Look, Tara, ah have to go. Ah promise if anything happens ah'll call you."

"Be careful, Rogue," Tara said, giving her a hug goodbye. "I don't want to see anything happen to my best friend."

Rogue left the bleachers when she felt that it was clear, but she had no idea that someone was watching. A white-haired demon lurked in the shadows. He stood there and watched her pass not doing anything... not yet.