Secrets & Deceptions: Part 3

Tara reached the café within ten minutes of leaving the Brotherhood House, and it would have been so much easier if she could have flown there, but she didn't want to take the chance of anyone seeing her. It was still light out and she didn't want to freak anyone out.

She looked in the window of the place and saw that her boyfriend and his friend were sitting in a corner booth. Remy was sipping coffee, while Bruno was fidgeting in his seat. She figured that he was sitting there worrying about her, so she decided it was time to put an end to his torment.

She walked in and made a beeline to their table. "Hey, boys what's up?"

Bruno looked up at her and then shot out of his seat quickly and put his arms around her. "Thank goodness you're alright."

"Well, of course I am, silly," she said, but he still wouldn't let go of her.

"So, what happened?" Remy asked, finishing off his cup of coffee.

Tara gently pulled away from Bruno and then took a seat. "Actually, quite a bit," Tara said and reached into her purse and pulled out a lotion bottle. "This is what I found."

"What does body lotion have to do wid what's happenin' to Rogue?" Remy asked.

"This is not lotion," Tara said and handed Remy the bottle. He opened it up and took a sniff.

"Dis don' smell like anyt'in'," he said. "Looks like plain everyday water."

"That's absolutely right and lucky for us. I replaced what was in the real bottle with water. Apparently, this blue chick was drugging her. That's why she can't remember anything, and she has to have one dose a day is what it said on the bottle."

"You t'ink she'll remember now," Remy asked. "I saw what dat guy did to her in dat castle in New Orleans no more den a week ago, must a hypnotized her or somet'in'"

"Well, it looks like that was only temporary. Some guy named Jason gave her that stuff, but it's highly addictive, so we need to find a way to get that stuff analyzed and fast."

"Rogue's life could be in danger," Bruno said and then he looked hard at his girlfriend. "So, could yours if anyone figures out what you did."

"No one saw me make the switch, so don't worry," Tara said, trying to put their minds at rest. "Now, our next priority is getting Rogue out of that house before something really bad happens. That damn speed demon is..."

"Is what?" Bruno asked. He looked like he was getting hot under the collar, and Tara just realized she put her foot in her mouth. "Did that asshole try to touch you?"

"Bruno! I can handle myself with a jerk like that," she said, taking offence at his words.

"You didn't say no, so that means one thing," he said and got up out of his seat.

She blocked his way, but he still looked mad. "I didn't say yes either."

"Then tell me what that son of a bitch did?" Bruno asked, and Tara looked him right in the eye.

"He kissed me, okay," she said.

"That's it, I'm going to go kill him," he said and tried to get passed Tara, but she grabbed his hand.

"No, you're not, tough guy," she said and pulled him back a little. "You do that and, he'll know I want over there to spy. That would put both me and Rogue in danger."

Bruno was about to open his mouth to say something, but Remy beat him to it. "She's right." Bruno looked over at Remy who was holding unto the lotion bottle. "Plus, we gotta find out what dis stuff is."

"How are we going to do that?" Bruno asked, and Remy sat in his seat calm and cool. "I know someone who'll help, ole customer a mine, works in a lab down at a hospital in de city."

"You think he'll do it?" Bruno asked.

"She'll do it," Remy said, and Bruno burst out laughing.

"I get it, old girlfriend?" Bruno asked and sat back down.

"Somet'in' like dat," he said and put the bottle in his coat. Then he turned to Tara. "T'anks for doin' dis."

"She's my friend too," Tara said and took his hand. "Do you really think I was going to stand by and watch her get hurt, besides I can tell you love her. She deserves that after everything..."

"Well, I'm gonna see if I can' get a hold a Sabrina before curfew, so I'll see you two later."

Tara and Bruno watched Remy leave, seeing that he was still in of lot emotional pain over Rogue. They just hoped it wasn't too late and any damaged done to their friend wasn't permanent. 

To Be continued...

I hope you all enjoyed this part the mystery deepens as the trio continue to play detective.