The Heist: Part 4

Rogue sat down on the couch with Mercy while Remy put on some coffee. Henri paced around the room. He was nervous, and until that gem was delivered, he couldn't rest.

"So, let's see the rock," he said and looked over at Rogue. He knew Remy had given it to her, and he assumed she still had it.

"No, not yet," Remy said, and Rogue looked up. They both had a taste of what that stone could do, but it was up to Remy to fill his brother in. "Ain't nobody getting dare hands on dat rock, brother."

"What?" Henri asked with a look of surprise and horror on his face. "Pere expects us to deliver dat r'ing by mornin'."

"Well, dat's jus' too bad," Remy said. "That t'ing's too dangerous."

"What you mean... dangerous?"

"Show 'em, Chere," Remy said to Rogue. She took the gem out of her pocket. It was cold at first, but in seconds it heated up. It was warm in her hand and made her feel weak again. Not as much as it did before but enough to make her a bit light-headed. Remy came towards her to make sure she was alright.

"How are dose powers a yours?" he asked and both Henri and Mercy we're both confused.

"Let's find out," she said, but she already knew the answer.

She lightly touched his finger and again nothing happened. The gem's dim glow remained steady, so Remy took off his glove and took a hold of Rogue's bare hand. Still nothing happened, a least no energy drain. If Henri and Mercy hadn't been there, he thought about what he'd like to do. His beautiful Anna Marie would be in his arms, and there would be nothing stopping them from getting close.

"What does that prove?" Henri shouted. It looked to him like his brother was in the mood to romance this pretty girl, but what did that have to do with the jewel they just lifted.

Remy still had a hold of Rogue's hand, when he looked over at his brother and realized that he didn't so he prepared to fill him in.

"It's like dis, Henri," Remy said, looking straight at his brother. "Rogue's a mutant... Like me, but dis here gem turn off her powers. Dat's why I can touch 'er."

"You mean she a...?" Henri said and pointed at Rogue. His behavior made her uneasy. "Well, we all t'ought you were da only one."

"If one person can have powers den so can a lotta ot'er people, but we can't let Pere have dis gem after knowing what it can do."

"No, guess not, but we turnin' down a lot a money..."

"Henri, dare's more important t'ings den money," Mercy said scolding him. "Makes sense now why de assassins want her."

"So, what we gonna do?" Henri asked.

"We hang onto de gem and give Pere a fake," he said. He got up off the couch and went into his bedroom. He came out a few minutes later with a little iron box. He set it down on the coffee table and opened it. It was an emerald that closely resembled the power gem they had stolen from the assassins.

"Dis might fool 'em for a little while, but what happens when de buyer finds out de truth?"

"Blame it on de assassins," Remy said matter-a-factly. "By den, me and Rogue be long gone."

"Leave New Orleans?" Mercy asked, while standing up. "Where will you go?"

"Some place safe 'til dis all dies down," Remy said and looked over at Rogue. "I lost Anna Marie once an' I don' plan on doin' it again."

He took her hand and looked deep into her eyes. Henri tapped his chin and thought for a moment. "Wait a minute. I t'ought I recognized dat girl. She's was de one we met when Remy came to live wid us. De girl Pere tried t-say was a dream."

"She ain't no dream, Henri," Remy said, giving Rogue a more intense look. "She's real, and I'm de one who gonna keep her safe. I promise her dat."

"We'll keep each other safe," she said, and Remy took both of her hands. She was still holding the gem. He leaned in and kissed her and wasn't one bit afraid of her or her power.

"Come on, Henri," Mercy said, walking over to him. "It's time we leave dese two 'lone." She led him to the door and led him out. Remy and Rogue didn't even notice that their two partners in crime left.

To Be Continued...