School Daze: Part 5

When they finally reached school, they had about ten minutes before the first bell rang. Tara, Bruno and Remy had to go straight to the office to get their schedules and get their paperwork settled. Kitty went with them to show them how to get there without much fuss.

The halls filled with the sound of hyperactive teenagers who we're either excited about returning to school from the weekend or moaning and groaning about how much they hated school.

Bruno and Remy weren't so thrilled, but Tara had always excelled in schoolwork especially in the subjects of history and science. It was kind of nice being back in a routine, and school was part of that.

They waited inside office until one of the secretaries came out. Professor Xavier already faxed over their school histories. The woman was short and stout in stature and had her grayish brown hair in a high bun on the top of her head and wore glasses a little too large for her face.

She called each one of the new students one at a time, and Tara was last one her list. By that time, she could see how agitated the woman was getting.

"Four new students in one day is too much," the woman grumbled as she handed Tara her school schedule. "Now, any changes you would like to make have to be approved by the principal or vice principal and will take about a week to take effect."

"Yes, ma'am," Tara said, trying to be polite.

"Fine then, off to class," the woman said and returned to her desk without giving any one of the New students a second glance. She wasn't the friendliest of sorts, but Tara was used to hostile teachers. One thing she did wonder about was who was the fourth new student the woman was referring too.

"Let's go, guys," she said as they left the office. Tara noticed that Remy and Bruno had the same homeroom and hers was down the hall seeing that she was a sophomore and they were both seniors.

She bid them goodbye and they took off down the hall. "Ain't school great?" Bruno asked sarcastically as they reached the right room.

The classroom was loud and boisterous just like Bruno expected. Remy had been out if school for about a year, but it was all coming back to him.

They sat towards the back and tried to be inconspicuous, but some of the girls were staring at Remy, which he wouldn't have minded too much if it wasn't for the fact his heart belonged to another. Bruno got some stares too from the girls who looked as if they were trying to size up his dating potential, and the guys looked like they wanted to pound him for even getting even the most remote attention from the girls.

"Settle down, class," the teacher said. "It's time for roll-call." She went on down her list which was in alphabetical order until she got to the last two names which were penciled in. "We have two new students. First, Mister Remy LeBeau."

"At your service," he said, keeping his sunglasses on.

"Yes," she said and rolled her eyes at his obvious flirting. "In the future I do not allow sunglasses in my class, Mister LeBeau."

"He has an eye condition," Bruno said before Remy could say something that would get him into trouble. That's one thing they did not need on their first day.

"You must be Bruno Gallo," the teacher said.

"That's me," he said with a smirk.

"Sure is," a blonde girl in a short skirt said who was sitting a few desks away. The guy sitting next her looked like he was growling. It made Bruno laughed thinking that guy must have been the boyfriend. Bruno was no threat to him, because he had a girl he was very much in love with.