Hidden Truths: Part 4

Rogue got herself together and grabbed her school bag and took the letter and stuffed it inside. She was the last to come down, and the boys were already waiting outside. Mystique was nowhere around. She was a mysterious one, but Rogue was always wondering where she was and what she was doing when she wasn't at the house. Rogue knew the woman was a shapeshifter, but didn't know where or what she was doing most of the time.

She quickly returned the keys to their hiding place, but just as she smoothed down the carpet flap, she heard Lance call her from outside.

"Rogue, get a move on!" he shouted. "We're going to be late!"

"Comin'!" she shouted back and ran towards the door.

She was the last to get to Lance's jeep and hopped up on the back sitting behind Todd. Fred was sitting next to her and they were both subjected to seeing Todd catch flies with his tongue.

Rogue turned fearing she may hurl, watching Toad doing what came natural. He was in many ways disgusting on a physical level, but after peeking into his mind she knew his thoughts were more revolting.

She knew all her housemates of the male persuasion had fantasies about her, but Toad's were downright creepy. The only reason none of them ever hit on her was her powers, but if they ever discovered the stone that allowed her to touch, she feared what they might do.

She never thought Lance would ever make advances towards her, mainly because his romantic interest lied elsewhere. Fred was too much if a gentleman, but Pietro and Todd she was unsure of. Still, she made a point of keeping her door locked at night.

They didn't reach school soon enough and she was the first one to jump out of the jeep and made her way inside. It wasn't that she was so excited about school, but she wanted to get away from Toad before she lost what little breakfast she ate.

She went to her locker and got out all the books she would need for her morning classes and found the letter she had stolen from Mystique and shoved it in her purse. After what the letter revealed she didn't want to let it out of her sight for one second.

She kept her purse close to her all through her morning classes. Usually she would hang it on the back of her chair, but today she kept it in her lap. No one thought she was acting peculiar by slightly changing her routine, because Rogue had a reputation of being unpredictable and evasive.

She was sitting on a secret that wasn't hers, a secret she wished she didn't know. Lunch period finally came, but she was not interested in eating. There was something more important she wanted to do, so she walked down the deserted hallway away from the lunch area and into a door that connected to a small closet. There was a red scarf with a mini rose attached to it, the sign she was looking for, so she pulled her necklace out of her purse and quickly put it on before entering.

She opened the door just enough to slip through, and once she was inside, she saw that the place was already occupied which made her smile. She was no longer able to contain herself and planted a long hard kiss on the other occupant of the small room.

"Happy to see me," she finally said, trying to catch her breath.

"What you t'ink," he said and kissed her again. He wrapped his arms around her, feeling up and down her body. "Been worried 'bout you."

"No need, Cajun, ah know how to take care of myself," she said with a determined look on her face.

"I know you can, but it don' stop me from worryin'," he said and had both hands on either side of her face. "Get used to it."

"Ah'll try," she said.

"So, how de investigation goin'?" he asked.

"Ah found somethin'," she said and reached into her purse and pulled out the letter. "Ah was able to get into Mystique's office, and ah found this, but it's not about me. It's about one of the other X-Men."

"Who?" Remy asked but wasn't nearly as shocked as she was.

"Nightcrawler," she said, but there was really no reaction from him at all which puzzled her. She couldn't tell if he was wearing a poker face or if he truly wasn't surprised that Mystique had information on a member of his team. "Ah found a bunch of pictures of him in this large yellow envelope, ones of him as a baby and then a little kid until now. It not the kind of information someone would be gathering for a recruitment. This is personal stuff, and then I found this letter."

She pulled the envelope out of her purse and handed it to him. He took out the letter and examined the writing and looked over at Rogue. "We need to get dis translated."

"No need, ah know what it says," she said.

"You speak German, Chere?" he asked, looking impressed

"Thanks to Kurt," she said, and he looked confused. "First time ah met him, I accidentally touched him. Ah saw a lot of bad stuff he went through as a kid, but ah also picked up his native tongue."

"Dose memories you got. De never went away?" he asked and she looked down at the floor.

"They fade, but they're always there." She looked up at him and thought she had to share this secret with someone. "Remy, according to that letter she's his momma, and ah don't think he knows. Ah think she tried to take him from the people who raised him. Right there it says, 'You may have given birth to him, but he's our son'."

"Are you sure dis is real?" he asked.

"Ah don't know, but there's one way to find out," she said and he shook his head. "Ah gotta do it, Remy."

"You do and she'll know," he said with a look of fright on his face. "Then there's no telling what she would do to you."

"She won't even have to know," she said, trying to reason with him. "Ah'll do it when she's asleep."

"How you gonna do that without gettin' caught?" he asked.

"Ah'll find a way, so don't worry," she said then thought for a minute. "I'll get Fred to help me."

"What?" He looked shocked that she would even suggest such a thing. "You gonna trust one of those boys?"

"Remy, he's my friend, and he covered for me last night," she said and she heard the first bell ring. "Don't worry, he doesn't know about you, but he knows ah was sneakin' out to see someone."

"Well, dat's good," he said not wanting to leave the small room just yet. "I jus' don't want him or any of those boys puttin' a hand on you."

"Ah can handle the Brotherhood boys... and Mystique."

"Just be careful, chere," he said and opened the door to check to see if it was clear. "If anyt'ing happened to you..."

"It won't," she said and gave him a quick kiss before exiting.

He waited until she was a few feet down the hall before leaving the room himself. He had a feeling this whole plan was going to blow sky high.

That's the end of chapter fifteen, but there's still more to come. I want to give and thanks to everyone who has read this story. It has been a pleasure to write.