New Roommate: Part 2

She looked around the room and saw that it was quite a large bedroom with a king-sized bed with red and black sheets. There was a large dresser and two doors, one she discovered was a bathroom and the other she guessed was the closet. She decided to go into the bathroom to brush her teeth and use the toilet before going to bed. She changed into her nightshirt and walked back into the bedroom. She stood there staring at the bed realizing just how tired she really was. She turned down the sheets and crawled into bed. She fell asleep almost immediately.

On the other side of the door Remy had been listening. When everything settled to silence, he cracked the door slightly and peeked in only to see Rogue sleeping soundly. He smiled slightly and closed the door. He looked over and noticed on his leather chair Rogue's jacket was laid across the arm. He walked over and picked it up, but as he did, he heard the sound of something falling onto the floor. He looked down to see a necklace, so he squatted down and picked it up. It was a cheap metallic material with red, green and blue paint and in the shape of a butterfly in flight. He studied it for a moment before slightly returning to a standing position.

Something triggered in his mind and felt that he had seen this before. Flashing back and seeing himself as a kid, no more than seven, and there was a little girl a bit younger than him. The voices of those children echoed in his head.

Promise me you'll never take it off, the boy's voice echoed inside his mind.

I promise. He heard the little girl's voice ring in his head.

He looked down at the necklace again. It was the same kind he had given that little girl. He had thought about her for years, even dreamed about her, but everyone including his father tried to convince him that it was all a dream. He always knew it was real, and that she was real. He had spent most of his life searching for that girl, his dream girl. He just wondered if it really was her or just another facade his mind made up to trick him.

As he examined the necklace, he noticed the clasp was broken or just had come loose. He walked into the kitchen and opened the utility drawer and pulled out the tiny screwdriver and tightened the little screw holding the clasp.

Dat should do it, he said to himself. He looked over at the door of his bedroom. He contemplated whether or not he should go in, but he decided that he would. He just had to look at her one more time. If he could do that, he would know whether or not it was truly her, and if it was then he would know that his adoptive parents had lied to him.

He opened the door slowly and walked in. There she was sleeping in his bed. She looked like an angel wrapped up in his sheets, so he placed the necklace on the nightstand careful to say completely silent so he didn't wake her. It was in plain sight, so when she awoke she would see it.

She stirred slightly as he brushed his gloved hand across her face. He so desperately wanted to feel the softness of her skin, but after the last time he dared not. His finger brushed lightly over her luscious lips. He thought to himself how those lips were made for kissing. Then he felt a pang of jealousy come over him thinking about any man ever touching those lips. Had she ever kissed anyone before? Maybe she had and he started to hate this invisible man who may have touched his sleeping angel.

He heard her sigh in her sleep, which brought him back to reality. She was muttering something which he could barely make out, but one word he heard clearly, his name.

"Remy," she mumbled in her sleep. "Ah promise ah'll come back."

Why would she say that? Then he remembered. That little girl had said that too, but she never did come back, only in his dreams. Was she that little girl? He wanted to believe she was, but he had to be sure.

He got up from where he was sitting on the edge of the bed and covered her where she had kicked off the blankets. It was a cold night and he couldn't bear the thought of her getting sick. After looking back at her one last time, he left the room that night and attempted to sleep on the couch, but sleep wouldn't come. He laid there thinking of her, and when he did finally fall asleep, he dreamed only of her.

To Be Continued...