Chapter Eight

Brady ran over, offering her a hand up from the ground, giving Travis a disapproving scowl which he ignored while he tried to process the information she blindsided him with.

"Sorry, ma'am," Brady apologized for him and started to help Harley brush the dust and bits of hay from her bottom.

"I'll do that." Travis stomped over, glaring at his once again and very seriously going to be fired ranch hand if he didn't get his paws of his woman.

Oh shit! Not the "my woman" thing again, he thought. He began to give himself another round of firm lecturing when he was broadsided by what felt like one of the defensive linemen from the Montana Grizzlies. The next thing he knew he was fly through the air with Brady, both wearing the same WTF expressions and chewing on mouthfuls of dirt after a less than graceful landing.

Dazed, confused and gasping for air from lungs that suddenly didn't seem to want to cooperate anymore, Travis's whole body throbbed. Not in the nice hot throbbing of earlier, but its close cousin of the actual pain variety. He glanced at Brady, seeing he was doing a mighty fine impression of a goldfish out of its bowl too, only his eyes were taking on a rather odd bulge as he stared straight ahead.

That's when Travis noticed the sun appeared to have gone down, but it couldn't have. Sundown was hours away. He looked up only to come face to flared nostrils with Odin. The huge black stud was gigantic when looming over a man who was presently knocked on his ass and casting an ominous shadow, breathing heavy blasts of pure rage. He tried to say something to calm the animal, but his lungs were still trying to recoup enough air to keep his brain functioning at the moment and all he managed was an audible gulp.

"Odin!" Harley came running to their rescue. He would almost be grateful if it wasn't for the fact her and her group of renegade animals hadn't been trying to put him in the hospital since his arrival.

"Are you all right?" She shoved the massive brute against his shoulder and the animal immediately stepped aside with one last slightly damp snort towards Travis.

Harley bent down on her haunches to look him over; obviously checking for any major injuries, but all he could focus on was the abundant amount of cleavage he was receiving for her troubles. He could damn near see down to her belly button and he licked his gritty lips in appreciation and to remove any traces of drool that might have appeared.

"Humph," she sniffed. "Never underestimate the healing power of cleavage I guess." She stood up and offered a hand to Travis who took it and allowed her to help him struggle back to having his boots in the upright position. Once he was vertical, she went to go check on poor Brady who still looked rather pale.

"He's fine," grumbled Travis as he limped over to help his ranch hand back up before she blessed him with the same heavenly vision he'd just admired.

Leaning over, he grabbed Brady, none too gently, and tossed him back up on his unstable feet. Taking a deep breath against the pain, he leaned over once more and grabbed their hats off the ground. Giving them a quick brush, he slammed his on and tossed Brady the other. Once Brady had his hat back on and was standing with a few winces, grimaces and light cussing, Travis turned on the sexy owner of the most psychotic group of farm animals he'd ever had the misfortune of meeting.

"What the hell just happened!" he barked. "Did that freak of nature just try to kill us?" he accused pointing a rather shaky finger at Odin.

He didn't necessarily mean to raise his voice, but dammit, he was getting mighty tired of trying to keep his body intact and in one piece. But, it was too late, the angry tone of his voice must have traveled to whereever the canine death troupe had been and he immediately regretted yelling when he heard the growls, snaps, barks and general thunderous ominous approach.