Chapter Eighteen

"He's right, Sheriff," the other sidekick named Earl regained his boldness and stepped forward, ignoring the seething Travis. "I was here the whole time and saw her pawing one of Montgomery's hands right in the middle of the store." He pointedly looked over to Travis. "She was all over him."

Harley looked up about to plead her innocence, but the dark intensity of his features frightened her, keeping her tongue firmly glued to the roof of her mouth. Shuddering slightly, she tried to step away from the enraged cowboy, but he only tightened his hold.

Her gaze caught his glacial stare and his eye's soften fractionally as he loosened his harsh embrace. Drawing her against him a little more tenderly, Harley felt a light reassuring wisp of a kiss against her hair before her attention was once again drawn to the three assholes in front.

"When he turned her down, she came over here and tried to seduce Lloyd into selling her some feed." Earl gave Lloyd a dirty look when he opened his mouth to say something, causing him to quickly shut it and look back down at his feet. "I'm not even goin' to tell ya what she offered Dick for a few bales of hay."

Dick grinned. Snickering, he made a show out of scratching his balls and Harley threw up a little in her mouth.

"Earl, you talk so much shit, I can smell it on your breath," Brady drawled as he came out of the back feed room where he had been keeping an eye on the three bastards.

He tipped his hat towards Harley, giving her a little wink as he strolled across the store to stand next to his boss. The light hearted expression on his handsome face he had given Harley moments before, transformed into a scowl to match his bosses and the two of them took intimidation to a whole new playing field.

"You watch your mouth you little piss-ant!" Earl growled, taking a menacing step towards Brady.

Travis shot an arm out to stop his foreman from meeting him head on. With a shake of his head, Brady stepped back, but continued to glare at Earl who had been chased back into Rafferty's ranks with a withering glare from the Sheriff.

Ethan looked over to Lloyd who was still exploring the contours of his shoe laces. "What do you have to say about all this Lloyd? Did this young lady cause you trouble or not?" Ethan got his answer as the man turned six different shades of red and started to look like he wanted to be anywhere else other than where his feet were presently parked.

Lloyd's mouth opened and closed like a guppy as he tried to think of something to say.

"He has a right to refuse service to anyone!" Rafferty stomped up to the Sheriff, belly to chest. "Say's right there on that sign above the counter." He jabbed a pudgy finger over his shoulder. "I would think you would respect that and help our local struggling business folk instead of harassing them," Rafferty huffed, leveling a glare up at the Sheriff. "Or have you forgotten this is an election year, Sheriff? It would be a pity if you lost your support in this town over your need to protect an unwelcomed outsider."

He shook his head and clicked his tongue. "I think the city council might be interested to know our Sheriff has taken a rather controversial stance when it comes to this floozy." He gave Harley another head to toe once over that made her draw further against Adonis's solid frame. "Unless of course," he narrowed accusatory eyes up at Ethan. "You've been busy doing something other than official police business with this tramp."

Travis's growl vibrated down her spine. If it had been a different set of circumstances, Harley would have appreciated the delicious feeling. But, beings what it was, she grabbed a hold of his belt like she would grab King's collar to keep him from ripping out Rafferty's throat.

"You wouldn't be trying to threaten me, now would you Rafferty?" Ethan crossed his arms and although his drawl was light and teasing, the look on his face was anything but.