Chapter Twenty

"Now you're in for it," Desi whispered under her breath to Harley before she was shoved aside by Becca who was as excited as a puppy with two tails.

She pulled open Harley's driver side door which squeaked like nails dragged slowly across a chalk board in protest.

"Why are you driving this old POS?" Desi asked, giving a disapproving once over of Harley's beat up, blue and white, two toned, 1996 Ford 250, 4x4. Desi, Max and Becca were the only people in town who knew the truth about Harley and her past. She had sworn them to secrecy months ago, wanting to earn the respect of her new town on her own merits and not on the back of her rodeo fame. Or, as Desi had suggested, on the amount of her bank account.

"Be nice to Old Blue," Harley cooed as she petted the worn dash cover and attempted to avoid Becca's obnoxious powdering. "It's got character." She managed to add around a mouthful of puff when she turned back to Desi.

"Humph...you have a brand new, gorgeous King Ranch sitting in the barn with enough chrome and leather to make my panties wet and yet, here you sit, in this dinged up, road rash covered monstrosity. Mind enlightening us as to why?"

Harley sneezed as a fine dust of powder tickled up her nose. "Ugh...enough, Becca!" She reached out, trying to wrestle the puff away from her. "Because I needed to pick up feed today and because I'm trying...to...fit...in," Harley answered struggling to keep Becca at bay and managing to capture the puff. "Ha! Got it!"

Desi blew out an exasperated breath. "Yeah...and how is that whole, I'm trying to fit in thing, working out for you?"

"What do you mean?" Harley's voice cracked.

"We heard what happened at the feed store with that big jerk Rafferty and Lloyd refusing you service," Becca stated nonchalantly as she stepped back smiling, putting her hands on her hips to admire her handy work. Undeterred by having lost her powder puff.

"You heard about that?" Harley gulped. "Already?" She slumped down in her seat as a wave of nausea washed over her. The whole town would know of her humiliation and the slanderous lies Rafferty had spoken. Her bottom lip began to tremble as a little sob escaped.

"Only because we ran into Brady behind the feed store when we were handing out flyers. Oh...don't cry." Becca coaxed, stroking her hair. "He sent us over here to cheer you up." She smiled uncertainly.

"And such a good job we're doing too," Desi dryly commented while Harley softly sniffled. "Why don't you try to smother her again? We can put a more permanent end to her suffering. She might be dead, but she will have a splendid glow with rosy cheeks."

"Listen Morticia, I don't see you being overly helpful...uh-oh!" Becca's eyes got huge and round before she whipped around. Stepping up on the running boards of the truck, she all about jumped on top of Harley in the cab brandishing her lipstick like a sword. "Hold still and let me finish."

"What are you doing? Get off me and let me enjoy my misery, dammit." Harley struggled as Becca swiped at her lips with a frosty tipped wand.

"Hush and pucker. Desi, hand me back her glasses. We have company," Becca ordered.

"Company? Who?" Harley struggled to look around Becca and Desi who decided to block the door to the pickup. Standing like one of the Queen of England's tower gaurds.

"It's the best I can do under the circumstances," Becca mumbled as she slipped Harley's sunglasses back on and pinched her cheeks so hard, Harley winced. "Now, smile pretty...lover boy is here," she whispered, giggling.

"Harley? Are you alright, sunshine?"

A low, growly drawl hit her ears. Making her nipples immediately peak and rub uncomfortably in her bra. Only one man could make her body respond with just the sound of his voice. Adonis, or aka, one handsome cowboy by the name of Travis Montgomery.