Chapter Sixteen

Travis stepped across the street making a beeline for the local Sheriff's office. He had just stepped up on the curb in front of the small, yet official looking building, when the man he sought walked out the door.

Ethan Davidson was an imposing looking cowboy in plain jeans and boots, but in full Sheriff uniform, he was down-right frightening or would have been to most people who hadn't grow up with the gentle giant.

Ethan had lost both his parents in an unfortunate automobile accident when he was only five years old. His elderly grandparents took him in, but because of their advanced age, they couldn't really keep up with the demands of a child so young. It ease their burden, Kathy Montgomery stepped in. Travis had been an only child as well, so Kathy told the Davidson's they were actually doing her a favor by allowing the boys to become playmates.

Since that day forward, Travis and Ethan became inseparable, sharing many misadventures throughout their childhood. So close were the two boys, most assumed they were actually brothers and the boys seldom corrected anyone on the mistake. Mitch always joked the two troublemakers had caused so much chaos, his wife and him refused to have more children in fear they would reproduce more devil spawn.

Standing a good solid two inches taller than Travis's lengthy six foot three inches, Ethan was built like a brick shithouse. In their high school days, both boys had been the local football heroes and had their fair portion of high school romances. Ethan with his dark wavy brown hair with the rebellious lock which would flirt across his forehead and intense green eyes combined with Travis's dark handsome brooding looks and ice blue, caused more female teenage drama trauma than Wolf Springs had ever seen since. The whole school faculty breathed a sigh of relief when the boys graduated and walked their handsome asses out the door.

Travis knew he would one day take over the DR, so he kept his college education short and local. Doing four years in a small community college in the outskirts of Billings for agriculture and business. Ethan, on the other hand, had been the town's superstar when he'd been recruited by a big Ivy League college for his powers on the football field.

Ethan's future looked bright until the day he took a bad hit in a playoff game which ended his promising career. Travis had to hand it to the guy, where most men would whine a pitch a fit for the rest of their lives retelling faded stories of past glories and complaining over the unfairness of it all, Ethan simply brushed himself off and took this life in a different direction.

He was still the town's hero, but for his abilities behind the star displayed on his massive chest. That same star glinted in the morning sun and momentarily blinded Travis, causing him to trip into Ethan.

"I see you're as graceful on your feet as usual," Ethan drawled. "Enjoy your trip?"

"About as much as I enjoy your lame sense of humor," Travis quipped. "Why don't you buy a book and get yourself some new material?"

"Why mess with the classics?" Ethan thumped him on the back and sent Travis stumbling a few steps forward.

"Easy, Gargantuan." Travis used the nickname he'd given and teased Ethan with back in their childhood days after Ethan had out grew him.

"Sorry little brother, I forget what a delicate flower you are."

"How would you like donate a pint of blood through your nose?" Travis bantered, causing both cowboys to chuckle.

"Point taken. I was just about to partake in some of the Dawg's special house blend, care to join me?"

Travis nodded his head and the dual set of impressive cowboys took off down the street and around the corner. Once they got settled into a corner booth in the back with their coffee, Ethan tipped his hat back, shooting Travis an intense green stare.