Chapter Seventeen

Ethan blew out a frustrated breath. "It didn't sound like they had any plans to make an arrest anytime soon. They were pretty dicey as to what was really going down. I got the impression they were just paying me a curtsey call at the same time making sure I understood I was too small town to be overly involved." Ethan smirked. "But you know how us country folk are, we ain't real keen at minding our own business," he added with an exaggerated drawl.

"What did you do?" Travis cocked an eyebrow.

"I sicced Butch on them." Ethan's lips twitched. "If anyone can find out what those two suits are doing, he will."

"Good call, Gargantuan." Travis sat back in the booth.

The sick feeling crawling around in his stomach settled some. Butch Meyer was ex-Navy Seal and a sniper to boot. If anyone could stay under the radar, it would be him. Travis didn't know much about the guy personally, other than he kept to himself and lived in a small hunting cabin out in the mountains.

Most of what he learned came from the gossip network. He heard his last mission in Afghanistan had ended in tragedy. His whole team wiped out except for him and he had barely come out alive. The man was seriously scarred and not just on the outside, hence why he lived the life of a hermit.

"How did you get him to agree to it?"

"Butch actually came to me. Seems the Feds have been tromping through his neck of the woods and Butch didn't like it. So, I told him what I thought was happening and he agreed to keep an eye on them." Ethan signaled the waitress for a refill. Once he had it and doctored to his liking, he focused back on Travis. "Right now there isn't much going on. Butch doubts the men the Feds are chasing are even here...yet." He frowned, looking down into his cup. "Just a lot of watching on everyone's side." He gazed over at Travis as he took a sip. "Basically, we just have to wait until Rafferty shows his cards or somebody makes a move."

Travis snorted. "What if showing his hand or making a move means Harley gets hurt? We have to be able to do something. Harley is in the middle. We can't leave her there and make her the sacrificial lamb." Blue eyes bored into green. "She needs protection, Ethan."

Travis felt the primal urge to defend his woman from the outside evils who threatened her. His blood fairly thrummed with a desire to protect her. Frustration made him impulsive. For once, he didn't take the time to understand the implications or work out any pros or cons, something which was very unlike him.

Usually, he would sit and stew over any given situation, taking his time, looking at it from all angles. This balls out approach was a foreign concept, but he embraced it. The consequences were too high for him not too. Thoughts of Harley being in danger or getting hurt bombarded his brain making his stomach pitch violently. He clenched his fists as the rage of what Rafferty had done washed over him. Now that everything which had stood between them was gone, he'd be damned if he was going to let something happen to her.

"We won't leave her unprotected." Ethan grabbed Travis's upper arm. "I promise you brother, I will keep an eye on her and so will my deputies." He waited until he saw a small nod of agreement before letting go. Sitting back slightly, Ethan's green eyes scrutinized him with that cop-like ability which caused Travis to squirm.

"What?"

Ethan chuckled softly, giving him a knowing grin. "If that look in your eye means what I think it does, I don't think there will much to worry about since I have a feeling you're going to be all over her like white on rice."

"Like you only read about big brother," Travis found himself answering before he could stop himself. Shocked at his slip of the tongue, Travis mumbled, "I have feeling she has the unique ability to get into trouble on a regular basis. So, it would only be to keep her from getting hurt." It sounded lame even to his own ear, but dammit, it was the best he could come up with. Ethan's laughter didn't help his mood. "You haven't met her," he growled. "She is a freak of nature on two legs, trust me."