Chapter Eleven

Shaking her head to dispel the unpleasant memories, Harley stared up at the ceiling for a moment before coming to a decision. She would make amends with Adonis. At the rate she was going, she really couldn't afford to make any more enemies. According to Rafferty, she would have all of those she could handle. She rolled over on her side and clutched a pillow to her chest. A small chill made her shiver slightly when she remembered his menacing threats.

Harley closed her eyes and forced the thoughts away, concentrating instead on a pair of artic blue eyes. The way he'd tilted his chin down to his chest trying to hide that little boy grin which made her heart start two stepping up her throat. Those broad shoulders made her want to snuggle up against him. She spent a few minutes wondering idly what it would be like to fall asleep on those magnificent shoulders with his strong arms wrapped around her.

Rolling back over, she allowed her mind to conjure up a clear picture of him. There was no wasted space on the man.  All of him was solidly built, muscled and toned. No muffin tops for Mr. Asshole. Woo-boy, he was beautiful. She smiled. Harley was positive he would have some issue with being called that, but it didn't change the fact he was simply beautiful when he smiled...that smile could make a girl forget her own name. Oh yes, being friends with Adonis would have definite benefits if she got to see his grin on a daily basis.

It probably wouldn't be an easy task, given her well-meaning friends had compared him to a grumpy Kodiak bear freshly awaken from hibernation. If she wanted to make friends with him, she would have her work cut out. Although, she found him rather sweet and cuddly despite his bad reputation and questionable manners after you got past all the growling, huffing and puffing he did.  The man seriously liked to glower. It's surprising his face wasn't all wrinkled like a prune from all the scowling.

Harley chuckled softly. Good thing she was immune to male fronting, otherwise their little encounter might have gone a lot worse. Admittedly, Adonis had a right to be suspicious, but the arrogant jackass attitude of his she could really do without. It only brought out her inner harpy, she cringed as she recalled how awful she'd been. Two wrongs never make a right, no matter how unfair it was.

Whether he had it coming or not, it didn't really give her the right to be a bitch. Blowing out a frustrated breath, she crossed her arms angrily over her chest. If that just doesn't get your goat, Harley thought. There was no doubt about, she would have to apologize and would be the one to do it first.

Hell would probably freeze over and have ice skating competitions before he would ever apologize first. After all, it went against typical male pride to grovel. No, if this friendship was going to happen, she would have to offer the first olive branch. Harley took the pillow she'd been clutching and threw it over her face. Not only was she wrong to act the way she did and would have to cough up an apology, but she had no chocolate to help make the bitter reality more pleasing. She tried to suffocate herself with the pillow.

Sensing her restlessness, King came over and laid his huge head on the bed looking Harley in the eye. She reached out and petted the immense dog, accepting his comfort.

"What are we going to do King baby?" she asked him as she tickled his ears. The dog snuffed in response. "I know you don't like him much, but I think you had better get over it big guy because I think you are going to see a lot more of him." Harley grinned, deciding she would try and smooth over the mess she made of things this afternoon. After that, she really hoped she would be seeing a lot more of him.

"Preferably without clothes," she whispered.

The thought of having the naked Adonis in front of her started stirrings of desire she'd never felt before with any other man. A slow hot ache began to burn and pool in her belly causing her to saw her legs back and forth as she imagined what it would feel like to have him touch her. Cursing herself, she tried to smoother her heated face with the pillow.