Chapter Forty-Eight

Travis clutched the door handle to Ethan's cruiser in a death grip as they pulled down the long winding dirt road that lead to Harley's house. The glow of the fire could be seen above the tops of the trees, filling the night sky with an eerie blush and him with dread. He glanced over at the speedometer, mentally pushing Ethan to drive faster. The closer they got, the more his heart hammered in his chest at the sight of the black smoke and anxiety was eating him alive. Finally rounding the last bend, he felt a small sense of relief when the unscathed farmhouse came into view and he sank back into his seat, releasing his grasp on the door.

"It's not the house," he said, blowing out a sigh.

"No, but it looks like the barn has gone up like a Roman candle," Ethan muttered, easing his cruiser around and slowly driving up to the chaos in front of them.

Firemen ran pointing and shouting orders, pulling hoses from their trucks while they rushed towards the blaze. The lights from the three tankers reflected off the flames leaping up into the sky. Loose horses ran past them at a full panicked gallop and Ethan had to slam on the brakes to stop from colliding with the animals.

"It looks like they at least got the horses out," Ethan said, turning towards Travis as he parked haphazardly across the gravel drive to block any other vehicles from entering. Within moments, Butch pulled in alongside, completing the vehicle blockade. Travis slung his door open to get out when he caught sight of Bo and Tanner running like the devil's hounds of hell were nipping at their ankles. He froze in his seat, fear snaking down his spine. There was only one reason a man would be running like that...

"Harley!" The sound of her name being ripped from Bo's mouth would be a memory that would haunt Travis's nightmares for years to come.

"Oh God, please no!" He leaped out of the car and took off at a dead run towards the burning barn.

"Travis!"

He could hear Ethan's boot slamming into the ground behind him, but he paid him no heed. There was only one thought on his mind and that was to get to Harley. Dodging around a fireman who tried to block him, he slipped on the loose gravel, but caught a hold and lunged forward once more. Before he could make it to the door, Butch came out of nowhere and tackled him from the side. They both went tumbling ass over tea kettle across the yard and ended he up with the sniper sitting on his chest, holding his arms down.

"Get the fuck of me!" Travis yelled, panic making him thrash wildly around, trying to unseat Butch off from on top of him.

"You stupid son of a bitch," Butch hissed. "What good are you going to be to her if you end up fucking dead?"

"I have to get to her," Travis spat through clenched teeth, still trying to dislodge him off.

"Two guys already went in after her if she's in there. Let them handle it. The last thing anyone needs right now is a half-cocked idiot blindly running in and making things more difficult." Butch gave his shoulders a jerk, thumping his head against the dirt. "Let the firemen do their jobs."

The beating of his head knocked a little sense into him and Travis was able to gather his wits back into some semblance of control. Giving Butch a nod, he pulled a calming breath in when the sniper finally rolled off his chest, allowing him to suck in enough air to fill his lungs. Accepting the hand Ethan held out, he yanked himself up to his feet.

"Fuck, Montgomery, it would have been easier to tackle one of your damn cows," Butch muttered, brushing himself off after Ethan helped him off the ground.

Travis didn't respond, his eyes were locked on the sight before him. Flames reached higher into the sky as more and more of the barn ignited. The heat seared his skin, but he refused to step back. He prayed Bo and Tanner would find her in time. There was no doubt in his mind, she was in there. He could feel it in his gut.