Chapter Nineteen

Ethan followed Travis up to the counter and both massive cowboys casually leaned against it. Giving the feed store owner his best bad cop look in his arsenal of cop expressions, they watched as Lloyd turned a slight shade of green. "Want to tell us what went on in your establishment today?" Ethan asked.

"Umm...well...he...she...," Lloyd stammered before he focused on Brady and pointed a shaky finger. "She was all over him. I saw that!"

Travis spun around, facing his newly appointed foreman. He started to seriously reconsider his decision when a blast of undiluted jealousy hit him full force. Cussing under his breath he tried to grip on his emotions, but it didn't help when images of Harley being cradled in somebody else's arms kept flickering through his mind.

"Hey now," Brady took a step back at the fierce scowl on boss's face. "It wasn't like that at all." When Travis continued to glower at him, he gave a small shrug and sheepish grin. "She's a hugger, what can I say?"

"Don't you have some feed that needs to be loaded?" Travis snarled. The image of Harley putting her sweet body up against anyone but him, made his stomach churn like it was full of acid.

"It's all strapped down and ready to rock and roll, boss." Travis kept leveling him an icy glare, time ticking in unison with the twitch in his eyebrow. "Why don't I just go back and double check that it's good to go." Brady said, easing his way slowly past his boss. "Hell...I'll quadruple check it," he muttered as he hurried out the back.

"Hugging isn't against the law, Lloyd." Ethan sent a meaningful look over to a still seething Travis. "You're wife gave me one at the last town picnic and you didn't see me throwing her over the hood of my cruiser in a set of cuffs did you?"

Ethan's ridiculous statement calmed Travis's temper tantrum he was brewing, making him feel rather foolish in the process. So much for attempting to curb his anger issues, he thought as he sent an embarrassed smirk and shrug towards the Sheriff.

"Umm...no, sir." Lloyd decided to investigate the tips of his work boots rather than meet either man's intense stare.

"You know, Lloyd, I don't think you are setting a very good example for your customers." Ethan paused and gave a little nod to Travis. "In fact, I think the little demonstration you allowed to happen in your store might discourage some folks from coming in here to do business."

Travis picked up the hint Ethan was sending and played along. "You know, Sheriff, you've got a very good point there." He turned his attention to Lloyd, pulling out his checkbook from the front pocket of his shirt. "Why don't you total up my account Lloyd? I believe we are done here."

"You want to pay for today's load?" Lloyd jerked his head up.

"No. I need the whole total." He was forced to hold back a grin when the man behind the counter did a classic double take.

"What are you saying Travis?" Lloyd stuttered, swallowing hard and turning panicked eyes to him.

"I'm saying we are done here, Lloyd," he replied, keeping his tone flat and even. "The Dusty Rose won't support any business in this town who would be so prejudice against anyone who hadn't done anything to deserve it. Especially a woman. Tell me Lloyd, if I hadn't come when I did, would you have stopped Rafferty?" Travis leaned menacingly forward causing the man to pale. "If you want to support Rafferty's agenda's that's your call, but the Dusty Rose will have no part in it. But I can tell you one thing, if she ever gets mistreated in your store again, you'll be losing a lot more than just my account." He narrowed his eyes, the blue flashing with his threat. "Now, if you don't mind giving me my balance, I will write you a check and be on my way."