Two.

Chapter 2:

Nothing changed about the school. Even though it was almost negative twenty degrees outside and the month of January, students still hung out around their cars. It amazed me that they wouldn't just go inside and talk there. I could barely stand this winter weather. I hugged my black sweater closely to my body and fast walked to the doors.

I kept my head focused on the doors as I became aware of the stares. In my peripheral vision, I saw a group of students most likely in my class, leaning against a red jeep. I mean, I didn't exactly know if they were staring at me, but they looked as if they were; they were looking in my direction. But this wasn't anything new; I could handle it. I could handle a few stares.

I went straight to my locker as I usually did. I popped a piece of minty gum in my mouth to help me wake up a bit more. It's cool and refreshing flavor got the job done.

I picked up my government book immediately without realizing that I didn't need it anymore. That class was over. I was now taking a different class. But I couldn't remember what it was.

So I went searching through my backpack until I spotted my grey folder labeled general. This folder didn't really have a specific class that it went with, it just held general papers like passes, notes, important flyers, and most importantly, my schedule. I snatched it out and unfolded it to get a good view.

My first three classes were the same as last semester but my fourth was different. My social studies class changed to religion. My face brightened. I loved learning about things like that, new cultures. It excited me so much. Especially to think that not everyone lives like me, which could be a good and bad thing. I was never a religious person but I do have this memory of going to church with my mother on Sundays. And I liked learning new things so I knew I would enjoy that class for sure.

So I set down my old government book at the bottom of my locker just in time for the slam. There was no doubt that it made me jump, but I let out a little embarrassing squeak to complement it.

I looked over my shoulder to see no one but the infamous Max Jones and Jay Hail.

"Oops, sorry," Max said lifting his hands and shrugging his shoulders as both of them kept fast walking by. I sighed as they fist bumped. I didn't even look around to identify the faces of a select few people who snickered at me. But as I put in my combination again, a glanced to my left and saw a group of girls giving me sympathetic looks. But I knew they would never say anything to me.

Max and Jay and all their friends always amazed me. I didn't exactly know this for sure, but they lived in the town mansions. Their parents were rich, making them the stereotypical snobs that did not know anything about me but nonetheless made small gestures like slamming my locker in my face, making me feel useless. From my knowledge, Jay was the nicer one of all of them. But after this gesture, I was not so sure.

Jay was the star of the basketball team. He was the only one that seemed to have goals and aspirations in life. He had a passion. Max on the other hand was nothing but a guy who got attention from his looks and money like the whole rest of their crew. I was not interested in that species at all.

So after grabbing my last book—so I didn't have to come back to my locker after every class—I headed to homeroom. And I got there just in time.

I never enjoyed math. It was too complicated and I never saw the need for the skills and knowledge in society. So when the bell rang to dismiss the algebra class, I was relieved out my mind.