Nine.

Chapter 9:

It was another Monday. I hated and loved Mondays. Actually, the only part that I liked was that I did not have to go to work.

I was thinking and thinking about what I could do with my night off. I definitely needed to get Scottie a present. Since we ended up splitting the dinner check, it did not become much of a present, and I wanted to give him something. My weeks check from the music store was cashed Saturday and I still had a few bills left. I figured I could buy my best friend something cheap and cute, maybe chocolate, to show that he's tolerable.

All these ideas and thoughts were swimming through my head as I walked to my last block of the day. I was not thrilled to walk through the doors after Harry and I's meaningless meet up in a sushi restaurant's bathroom hallway, but I knew I could not skip class in order to avoid someone; it would go on my school record.

Walking slower than usual, I made it just in time for the late bell to not catch me. I took my seat near the middle of the classroom, Mr. Blue not even present yet. I took out my notebook and doodled a staff and started mindlessly writing in notes. I was humming something unfamiliar in my head, maybe they corresponded. Something unfamiliar clicked in my brain. I did not know what it was, but I knew I needed a piano as soon as possible.

I was ripped from my thoughts as the door opened. I quickly slammed my notebook closed and turned around to look at the door. It was not Mr. Blue that stepped inside like I thought. It was Harry just being late to class. But I guess he was off the hook since our teacher was even more late than him. When I turned back around to my notebook, the girl in front of me suddenly turned around. Her familiar face clicked in my mind. Rebecca! She briefly spoke to me on our first class. She was the one on the date with Harry. Why didn't I recognize her? Her short straight black hair and almond eyes should have been a giveaway.

Rebecca's face was glowing as she smiled to Harry, who sat a few rows behind me and to the left, perfectly seated in my line of vision to the door. I kept my eyes glued to my desk as she mouthed some words to him. I did not want to look up and make something awkward. But if I remember correctly she said something about "good luck with having Harry as your partner" on the first day of this class. Something did not click.

So when the door opened again, I had an excuse to look over my left shoulder towards the door and towards Harry. His face looked more serious and firm than usual as he twiddled a pencil around his fingers. Mr. Blue walked in and silenced us, even though only a select few of us were talking.

He started rambling about the school spring play or musical that he was directing called Fiddle on the Roof, if I heard right. I zoned out and started reading the pages in our textbook that I know he would be assigning.

Mr. Blue stopped talking about himself and how good his play was going to be after forty minutes. Leaving our class to have twenty minutes to do an hours worth of work.

"Wow. Time just flew by didn't it," Mr. Blue said, trailing over to his desk. "Now read chapter two section three and answer the section questions. Anything you don't finish is homework. And don't forget about this week set of questions for your project, I'm excited."

I smiled at the last part. I was done with everything. But my classmates groaned as they just decided to start today's work and not read the chalk board before his musical lecture.

I started up my doodling again, remembering my tune. The bell rang and even Mr. Blue seemed to be gone, but I could not get one last note to finish my fourth measure. I felt like I had something up my sleeve, I could not figure out if it was an A or a G. But it sounded better if it was an octave higher. Steam was almost rising from my ears. I just couldn't, I couldn't figure what the last note in my head was...