Six.

Chapter 6:

Scottie was there early. Usually on a Saturday, we got to the store at the same time. It was weird. Maybe I was late? I laughed at that thought, I was rarely late especially to work.

I walked into the shop with the usual ring of the door.

Scottie sprinted out of the back room. "Hey Pipes!" his voice was frantic, "I spilt a little water on some of the flyers. But it's no big deal. I've got it covered!" He sprinted back into the back room.

I slowly followed after him setting my bag down on the counter as I walked.

"Scottie. You okay?" I asked casually.

"Yeah of course," he said as he was airing out papers with his arms. I giggled.

"Need some help?"

Scottie blushed. "I guess." I took some from the little pile and started waving them around.

"I almost forgot about my special job today. This totally reminded me of it. Thanks, Scott," I said as the flyers were almost all dry.

"Don't call me Scott," Scottie whined.

"Why not. It's your God given name," I teased.

He huffed out a breath and grumbled. "There. Just go out and pass them around and tape them on walls." Scottie picked up the stack and shoved it into my chest, obviously angered from my name calling.

"I need tape and another jacket."

"Take mine then," he pointed to his on a random chair.

I picked it up and threw it over my shoulders.

"Have fun holding down the fort. I'm out," I said with a salute. I grabbed the rest of the flyers and stuffed a bunch of tape scrolls into my purse. Scottie saluted back as I giggled and walked out of the music shop.

I started walking down the street downtown. It was not the most exciting experience. I passed people, handing them the pointless flyers, because to be honest, I don't think people would take time out of their day to visit a music store if they had no desire to previously. But without complaining out loud, I trudged along the streets, giving flyers to people regardless and taping to every random light pole I noticed.

Once I came upon the town park, I got a little giddy. I had a brief memory of my mother taking me there after Sunday morning church every week. That was one of the select few memories I had with my mom. She used to swing me on the kiddy swings that I passed. I slowly stuck a flyer to the light pole near the swings as I remembered. I walked up to the swings that I haven't seen in a while and sat on one of them. I liked to think of it as 'my mothers' park.

Close by, shouting slowly pulled me out of my daydream of having a mother once again. I turned my head to see a basketball game happening on the court. It looked harmless from where I was on the swings. I picked up the flyers from I set them on a nearby picnic table and started walking up to the basketball court. My hands fumbled with the pieces of papers as I walked. It was time for me to be a sales person, I thought. The dang papers suck to my damp hands from sweating underneath Scotties jacket. It was not as cold as I thought.

I was not hearing the bounce of the ball anymore, but when I looked up, I almost choked on a breath of air. I noticed the faces of Max Jones, Jay Hail, a bunch of other kids in my grade... and Harry Styles. He just seemed to pop up everywhere. There were all looking at me curiously, but Harry's eyes had me in dead lock. This was not just some basketball game.