Twenty-Seven.

Chapter 27:

My legs were exhausted when I finally got home. I assumed my dad was out like he usually was on a Friday night. And I was right. There was no sign of life by my house. I made my way through my window like always.

I ripped my clothes off that I'd been wearing for two days now. I hopped into a steaming hot shower, cleansing my body quickly and massaged shampoo and conditioner into my hair.

I got out, blow-dried my hair as fast as I could and did my makeup. It was already seven o'clock and I was running out of daylight. Literally. I sped my routine up, putting product in my hair to make it shiny and slipped on my dress. It fit perfectly! It gave me just the right amount of hug on my waist. I slipped on some heels and headed out. But I didn't walk the whole way. I called a cab once I walked out of my neighborhood.

It took what felt like five years to get to the party and I didn't even feel nervous. I just wanted to get drunk and dance. That was my only goal: to get my problems off my shoulders. I hoped that Max wouldn't be there to remind me of them.

I tipped the helpful man a whole five dollars that I had left in my clutch and walked up to the humongous mansion. Tons of people were crowded around the front lawn. Just walking up the path, I could smell alcohol.

Once I entered the house, I began to feel out of place. People knew it too. I got a few looks from guys, but I didn't care about that.

My dress was shimmering in the dance lights that were set up.

"Piper! Piper! Over here!" I saw Rebecca calling my name as I turned around. "Wow, it's hard to not notice you with that dress. You look great!" I couldn't tell if she was being sarcastic.

"Thank you," I replied, taking it as a compliment. "Nice party."

I noticed the guy next to her. Ben was his name. He looked me up and down, biting his lip. I felt a little self conscious especially because Rebecca was leaning against him, whispering something in his ear.

"Piper, right?" Ben said walking away from Rebecca. She had a smirk on her face and her hands on her hips now. She caught me looking at her and waved with her fingers.

"Yeah. Hey Ben," I said.

"Let me get you a drink." We walked to the bar set-up.

Surprisingly it was Lexie behind the bar.

"I'm surprised to see you here Piper," Lexie greeted. She looked as good as ever with her new pink highlights in her bleach blonde hair and a dazzling hot pink dress to match. "Hello Ben."

"Can we get some drinks?" Ben asked for us.

"Any requests?" She asked.

"Whatever you recommend." She smirked and got to work. "A raspberry drink for the lady and a beer for the gentleman," she said. I sipped the drink while saying thank you. 

"So what have you been up to?" I asked Ben as we leaned against the bar together.

"College classes. The usual. I wasn't going to come to this party because of an exam but Becca insisted."

"Of course," I rolled my eyes.

He laughed at my reaction. I set my empty drink down. "Something bug you?"