Sixteen.

Chapter 16:

I woke up to a splitting headache. My dad thankfully didn't see me sneak in or out last night and I was grateful. That seemed like the only plus.

I was still shaken up from the night. Something in me broke when seeing Harry emotionlessly kiss that girl right in front of my face. She was the spitting image of perfect. Tanned skin like mine, but blonde hair to perfectly contrast, perfectly done makeup with contour and everything, a dress that showed everything, and heels to feel like a champion. What was I dressed like? A hippie with a jean jacket and leggings with my converse. I looked like an inferior bug compared to her.

Harry could get anyone he liked. His green eyes were compelling to no end, he was tall but not lanky at all, he could rock a hipster look flawlessly, and his curly dark hair stole the show. And that girl looked like a model. They were perfect.

So why was I jealous? Why did I feel like I might have had a chance two seconds before that girl showed up? I was stupid to think Harry would go after someone like me when he could be with anyone.

I was just a shy girl he was doing a project with and sometimes helping him with school. Why was being jealous? I did not even believe in high school relationships. What was happening to me?

After having confusing emotions caused by Harry, I bolted out my bed. I wanted to do something fun today. Maybe Scottie would be willing to skip the workday with me. I still needed answers from him. And I also needed my best friend.

Not even changing out of my pajamas, I reached under my bed, plugged in my head phones, and started playing piano on the little keyboard. I started with something easy, Solfeggio. It was simple, fast, and expressive, just like how I felt.

I was so into it, I didn't even notice my phone flashing.

My eyes went wide and I sucked in a large breath when I read Harrys name on the screen multiple times.

One missed call from Harry Styles.
Three unread text messages from Harry Styles.

I unlocked my phone slowly, not quite sure if I wanted to read them or not.

Hey Piper, I'm sorry about last night can I explain? *five minutes ago*

Explain what? He had nothing to explain. Scottie apparently was not there at all. He made out with a girl in front of me. Told me to leave, no worries.

Can we talk over breakfast? *four minutes ago*

Breakfast? What the heck? I thought he was embarrassed for me to be at the party. Why was I being invited to breakfast?

I'm here. *thirty seconds ago*

Oh shoot. I was in my pajamas with messy hair and morning breath, and Harry was outside. And I late for getting ready for work too.

I ran to my window to verify his presence and there he was. I saw him in his car. He was looking around nervously. I mean, my dad is home. He could get mugged in his pretty, grown-up, high class looking car if I made him wait too long.

I scampered around my room, throwing on a plain tank top and cardigan and jeans. I combed through my knotted blow-dried-and-slept-on hair. After touching up on my makeup and spraying a bit of perfume on myself to wake up, I silently walked down the hallway. It was about eight thirty, and neither Rene nor my dad have risen from their beds yet, and I now was more grateful than ever.

I had to pep talk myself into opening the front door. I was nervous to hear what Harry had to say and I had nothing to expect. He was not clear in his messages. Explain what exactly? It was a party he was invited to and not me, and he met a gorgeous girl. It's not my fault he wanted me gone and out of the scene. It was not my scene anyways.