Twenty-Four.

Chapter 24:

It was weird to go to school the next day and see everyone doing their daily things. I blended in naturally even though someone possibly died in my backyard the night before.

I came to terms that this was my life, probably years ago. Everyone around me had a nice life, a loving family consisting of three or more, a bright, collegiate future, multiple friends or a whole friend group to have by their side. And then there was me, having a totally lame life, holding my sister as she cried herself to sleep the night before, having one rich best friend that didn't even go to this school, being on the bad side of the most popular girl at my school, and lastly, being secretly in love with, who one could say is the most popular guy at the school as well.

Yes, I came to terms with it last night. Even though we established multiple times that we were just friends, I had a crush on Harry Styles. Everyone in the school did too. It was inevitable. The way he came to my side when I gave him the weakest of explanations as to why I was an scared, emotional mess, confirmed my disbelief. There was no point in trying to deny it anymore.

What made everything worse in my world was there were now prom posters hanging on every wall made by the prom committee themselves.

While I was helplessly standing at my locker like I always did before the bell rang, I thought about prom. I only hated it because I knew I would never get asked.

I looked at myself. I basically had my pajamas still on because I was running late and had to wake my sister and myself up earlier than usual so we could walk to school because my shitty father took off with the car the night before. Who would take that kinda girl to prom?

I thought about Harry and who he would ask. Last year he went with Rebecca and I know she's off the list now. If he asks her again this year, I will personally smack him. There were so many pretty girls eligible to be his date. I was pretty sure I was growing gray hairs just thinking about it.

When there was twelve minutes left until the late bell rang, I started to make my way across the school to my first class.

I got some odd looks from students because even though they had never talked to me, I knew they knew it wasn't like Piper Armstrong to dress down like this. I usually made sure I looked my best for school. But today was an exception.

I decided to take the long way and not be too early to class. I was stunned to see the science hallway was completely vacant of students and teachers. With my curiosity on my shoulder, I went ahead and walked slowly down the empty corridor.

Before I walked in front of the science hall staircase, I heard two familiar voices. Harry and Max. I peeked around the corner and saw them getting in each others face. This has to be about last night, I thought and listened in on their banter.

"I'm going to ask you one more time, did you kill Sanchez or did you not?" It was Harry.

"How do you even know this?" Max slyly contradicted. "Did little Piper overhear something she wasn't suppose to?" This made my blood boil. I knew I hated Max Jones from the start.

I heard Max being shoved into the wall. "I swear if you don't fucking give me an answer I will—"

"Fine, fine mate! Easy on the sleeves," Max said. "You want an answer? Then yes, yes I did kill Sanchez. And you know what Styles? I feel no regret!"

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. A tear slid down my cheek for the man who I heard died last night. May he rest in peace.