Chapter 5: Life With Hope

3 Years Later

Stefan's POV
It's been three years since I agreed to take care of Hope and I do not regret it. I haven't heard from anyone in Mystic Falls or New Orleans. Everyone in Mystic Falls called a lot wondering where I am, but I ignored them and got a new phone, so I can't hear from them again.

Right now, I'm cooking breakfast for Hope and I. Her favorite pancakes, banana-chocolate chip. Hope is a bright little girl. I even notice she has her father and mother's temper and personality. She has Hayley's heart, Klaus' sense of humor, Elijah's pride, Rebekah's snarky attitude sometimes, and Kol's cocky attitude sometimes.

But mostly, she is her own person; like she is obsessed with the fast food place Wendy's. She loves and I mean LOVES chicken nuggets. She likes pranks, watching movies, bouncing on trampolines, and watching the show Baby Daddy. That part may be my fault, but it's fun and it's a very funny show.

We watch it together every Wednesday at 8. The mid-season premiere of season two is coming on today. Hope is really excited about it. Now breakfast is done and I go and get Hope.

She is in our backyard on the trampoline bouncing up and down. She constantly shouting "whoo! Yay!" I laugh and say "Hope! Come on, breakfast is ready sweetie."

She stops bouncing and looks at me and says while smiling like a child on Christmas "chocolate chip-banana pancakes?" I smile, laugh, and say "yes!" She squeals and gets off the trampoline.

She runs to me and hugs my legs and I hug her back. I pull away and say "okay, go on. Your food is on the table!" She runs in the house very happy and I follow right behind her and we go sit down at the table.

We've been eating and talking for a while now

We've been eating and talking for a while now. We're talking about the show Baby Daddy. Hope says "I just don't get it: Riley knows that Danny likes her. Shouldn't she do something about it?" I laugh and say "yeah, I completely agree."

Hope says "especially since we're rooting for her and Danny getting together." I say "yeah! I mean I like Ben, but I really think Danny is the one for her. I mean he really loves her. He's loved her his entire life."

Hope tilts her head to the side -which I find adorable- and asks "Daddy S? Have you ever been in love?" I choke on my pancake a little and say "uh yes, H. I have, but it seems she was meant to be with someone else." Hope looks at me interested and asks "can I hear about it?"

I look at her and smile and say "maybe some other time sweetie." She says "okay, Daddy S." She knows about vampires, werewolves, and witches. I had to tell her when she cut herself and easily healed from the cut two weeks ago. She was freaking out, so I had to tell her very delicately.

That was when I knew that Hope could heal because she was born with Klaus' vampire blood. Therefore, she can heal herself and others. Since I had to tell her that, I also told her about the Mikaelson's. Her mother-- Hayley, father-- Klaus, Uncle Elijah, Uncle Kol, Aunt Rebekah, and her Godmother-- my sister, Gabriella.

I told her stories about the good parts of Klaus, not the bad parts. I don't want her to fear him. I didn't know much about Hayley, so I told her how Hayley freed twelve wolves from being slaves-- not mentioning Klaus name in that.

She knows I'm not her real father, which is why she calls me Daddy S, but she still thinks of me as a father figure. That makes me feel a lot of joy inside and out. I also tell her the story Rebekah told me to tell her as a bedtime story.

She asks "Daddy S? You know I love you right? More than anything!" I smile at her and say "I love you more than anything, too!" We smile at each other. "More than anything" is a little saying we came up with for one another to show how much we care for each other.

I say to her "okay, sweetie! You know what today is right?" She smiles brightly and says "yes, it's the mid-season two premiere of Baby Daddy. Let's go." She says while putting her plate and mine in the dish washer and pulling me into the living room.

We sit on the couch and we watch movies until it's time for it to come on. We've been watching all family and funny movies, like Matilda for eight hours while eating chicken nuggets and fries that we went to get.

We're now waiting for it to come on and two minutes later, it's finally on. We've been watching it for thirty minutes and this episode was very funny, Hope couldn't stop laughing.

When it's over I turn the TV off and say "okay Hope, it's time for bed. Which also means..." we say at the same time "story time." I smile and say "right." Hope says "yay!" And runs upstairs to her room with me behind her.

Her walls are a light lavender and is covered with lion king and frozen posters. She has pictures of Simba, Elsa, Timon and Pumbaa, and her favorite, Olaf. When we get inside her room, I tuck her in her bed.

I start to tell her the story "Once upon a time, there was a majestic king. He was blessed with a beautiful baby daughter, for whom he only wished peace. Still the king had demons that would pursue him. There was a coven of evil witches that wanted the king to suffer and in order for it to happen, they went after his daughter. There is another threat. A very powerful sorceress, wanted to steal the child and use her for her powers. The evil sorceress was the aunt of the king. Then the final threat, the eldest brother of the entire family wanted nothing more than to get rid of the king and his other siblings. He too tried to go after the princess. Seeing the shadows of his enemies upon his home, the king was driven to send his beloved princess away. Convincing all including his enemies that she was forever lost."

I look at her and I see she has fallen asleep. I smile at her and pull the covers over her and kiss her forehead. I walk out of the room and close the door quietly, trying not to wake her.

When I do, I walk to my room, but I keep the door open in case Hope calls for me. I turn off my light and I go to sleep with a huge smile on my face because in a way, I'm kind of a father. Which is all I ever wanted to be.

Midnight

I get woken up out of my sleep hearing Hope calling me constantly saying "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" I get the covers off of me and get up and vamp speed to her room.

When I'm there I see she has her knees to her chest, shaking back and forth. I go to her and I pick her up and put her on my lap. I rock her back and forth, rubbing her back while saying "shh, it's okay, I'm right here."

She snuggles up closer to me, crying and I ask "what's wrong, H?" She says "I had a nightmare!" I ask, curious "about what?" And she says "I was a baby and a bunch of evil witches took me and tried to kill me."

Oh my God! That's what happened to her when she was born. I say "it's okay, sweetie. I'm right here and no one will dare hurt you." She looks up at me and asks "can I stay with you, Daddy S?" I smile at her and kiss her forehead and say "of course."

Hope smiles a little and hangs onto my neck like she's hanging on for dear life and I pick her up and walk to my room. When I'm there, I get inside the bed with her laying down next to me. She snuggles next to me with her arm wrapped around my stomach and her head laying down on my chest.

Two minutes later, she falls asleep. I smile down at her and wrap my arm around her and kiss her on the head. I rest my head on my pillow and go to sleep.