Chapter 4: First Betrayal

"I used to advertise my loyalty and I don't believe there is a single person I loved that I didn't eventually betray

"I used to advertise my loyalty and I don't believe there is a single person I loved that I didn't eventually betray."
― Albert Camus

        "It looks like the ground is still fresh," Yamato said lowly to himself as we got to the giant ditch of what was once the forest. All the trees and most of the Earth had disintegrated from Naruto's Chakra alone.

         "First the bridge is destroyed, then this crater here.... What on earth happened?" Naruto asked confused, parts of his memory obviously gone.

         "You remember nothing?" Yamato answered Naruto's question with a question.

         "Oh yeah, how come I was unconscious and all?" Naruto asked, ignoring Yamato's question.

         "Orochimaru got to you and left you unconscious," Sakura lied.

         "Then he destroyed the forest cause like, fuck nature, I guess," I said sarcastically, but didn't put much effort into my comment.

         Sakura elbowed me. 

         I looked down at the ground to see a book and an unraveled scroll, "Sai's things are scattered on the ground. He must have dropped them and left it all here. I reckon he lost his cool in front of Orochimaru." I said, pointing over to the objects which Sakura picked up.

         "You know what happened, right?" Sakura asked Yamato.

         "A Moku Bunshin of mine was here until a few moments ago. We'd been communicating through a radio transmitter I hid in here. Sai... After a discussion with Orochimaru, he followed them back," Yamato explained.

         "What do you mean?" Naruto asked.

         "He might have been taken by force," Sakura interjected.

         "No, it didn't seem like it. He approached Orochimaru on his own and handed him something. It was almost like he was trying to get on Orochimaru's good graces," Yamato said.

         "Hey hold on a second!" Yelled Naruto. "Sure he's a jerk and all but he wouldn't betray-"

         "No, he just might have," Sakura interjected. "Yamato-taichou, this 'Danzo' person-"

         "I know him, the Hawkish leader who stood in opposition to Sandaime Hokage," Yamato interrupted, the conversation was making me uncomfortable.

         "Who's he?" Asked Naruto.

         "Sai's superior, an old geezer who thought poorly of the third's ideals," Sakura answered.

         "It's quite possible Danzo's relying on Sai to set plans of his own into motion, perhaps Danzo entrusted Sai with a top secret mission that has nothing to do with our own," Yamato said in his thinking mode. "What I'm about to tell you is no more than conjecture upon conjecture, but it's not out of the realm of possibility so, brace yourselves. Danzo could well be intending to destroy Konoha as we know it."