Violence in Class

Alarm rang. Henrietta woke up and sat on the bed. It was her second day going to highschool. Though yesterday she felt really down and scared about school, today she was feeling that this day was going to be better.

Her intuitions miraculously has transfered into saying that it was going to be fine, really nice and sweet. She knew how, her dad's letter was pretty enough to shift her pessimistic mind into a optimistic one.

She got up off the bed and started getting ready for school. After freshening herself up, she wore striped formal shirt that mom has kept in her wardrobe, a black denim that she liked, brown long cardigans because it was freezing out there.

Mom had woken up before her. She was preparing breakfast for Henrietta. Listening to the toon toons of cup and spoon, Henrietta went towards the dining table and sat down. She was thinking how two consecutive days could be so different. Just twenty four hours ago, she was at the same breakfast table cursing her fate. And, today she was here feeling blessed.

"Good morning, daughter. How are you?"

Henrietta smiled, "I'm great, mom."

Seeing Henrietta smile, mom felt relieved. At least she wasn't feeling that terrible forecasts of school.

Henrietta silently finished her meal. Mom saw her and prayed her welfare.

"Mom, I'm done with my meal. Shall we start now? Are you ready?"

"I am. You wear your shoes. I will get the car out of the garage."

Henrietta wore her favorite pair of shoes that had a brown bow. Going towards the door, she stopped for a while.

"Dad, thanks for encouraging me."

She thanked her dad, but for nothing. The thanks of encouraging her was surely deserved by her mom.

***

Mom pulled the car through the wet pavement. There was rain since the midnight. Surprising surely, it was to rain to winter.

Henrietta got off the car with the white cane in her hand. Mom waved at her from the window. She wanted to see Henrietta to move by herself.

Henrietta entered the school campus and waited for a while. She took a bit time to figure out where was the class. The noise of students, ringing of bells and giggling of girls helped her to decide the position of her classroom.

She walked upstairs and found her classroom so easily. She walked into the room and it seemed that there had been a bombing. All students were awkwardly shut down. They stared at Henrietta but none gathered courage to come forward and talk to her. They were totally afraid of her about the incidence of her Jason the last day.

Henrietta tried to find the seat that she sat on the previous day. But, when she reached there, she found that someone has kept a bag pack already before her. Nothing to do with it. Henrietta gasped. She took her bag and went to find some other unoccupied seat.

When she reached the middle of the classroom, she heard loud screaming of a girl that was shooting towards her. Before moving from off the place, a girl almost flew on her. PHEW!

They both fell down. That girl got up before her and instead of apologizing or pulling her from the floor, that girl started laughing.

"Such a stupid girl! Whoa!"

Henrietta was hurt. Her right hand was bleeding very badly. She tried to get up. But she had sprain in her ankles.

"Ouch!", that girl acted fake.

Henrietta was still on the floor. She could understand that everyone was looking at her but nobody came forward. They all were afraid of that mean girl too.

Suddenly, another girl ran through the crowd and was paused seeing Henrietta lying on the floor. She shouted, "Oh, Henrietta! What happened to you?"
It was Silvia Emerson.

"Silvia, please pick me up. I am hurt.", Henrietta's vocal stopped. She was drenched in the pool of pain. She almost cried.

Silvia pulled her with great affection. She saw that girl standing besides the scene with an arrogant look. She was the culprit, Silvia figured out.

Henrietta stood up hardly. Silvia looked at that girl, "McKenzie, did you trip her?"

"What the hell I would trip her, Silvia? I was running and she came on my path. How could I know that she would stand in the middle staring straight?"

Silvia whispered in McKenzie's ears, "She is visually impaired. That's why she couldn't see you. But you had vision, right? Then, how did you fly over her?"

It seemed totally amusing to McKenzie that Henrietta was visually impaired.

"You mean she is blind? Huh! How could I know that blind girls come to learn at highschool meant for normal school?"

Jason was there all the time watching the mock to Henrietta. Now, he couldn't but stop himself from taking a revenge through participating in the great joke.

"McKenzie, be careful. This blind girl is completely violent. Yesterday, she did beat me black and blue!"

"Oh, seriously? You are amazing, blind girl!"

Henrietta had been standing and hearing listening to this crap. Silvia also couldn't protest. But, no more!

"How dare you call me that blind girl!", Henrietta jumped on McKenzie. There always had been a limitation of everything that had been crossed by the mean girl.

With fury in her heart, pain in her chest and fierce in her head, Henrietta tried to slap McKenzie. But, instead, a heavy hand landed on Henrietta's cheek. She slipped and fall on the sharp edge of a chair. Her lips cut. Again, someone pulled her up and then threw her on the white board. It shook badly and Henrietta hit the hard part of it with forehead.

Silvia was screaming. But someone held her and didn't let her come to Henrietta. Falling on the cold hard ground, Henrietta could taste bitterness of blood in her mouth. Life was like hell.

Silvia saw herself fainting. She shook her hands and freed herself. Then, she ran to Henrietta.

"Henrietta, get up! Please, Henrietta! Can you hear me?"

"Yes, I can.", Henrietta replied fatigued.

Silvia held her hands and helped her get up. McKenzie and Jason was looking at them watching Silvia helping Henrietta. They were friendless, so they wondered how a beautiful girl like Silvia was deliberately helping a blind girl.

Silvia made their way towards the washroom.

"Echh, what they did to you!", Silvia regretted.

"What happened, Silvia? Is it visible?", Henrietta asked. She didn't want her mom to see her hurt. Mom would be crushed by this.

"Visible? What are you saying? There are terrible bruises. Its bleeding too badly. You need first aid."

Silvia opened the water tape and had some water in the concave of her hand. She spilled them on Henrietta's bruises. Henrietta almost screamed. It was hurting too horribly.

Fall of water running through her forehead, tears were competing with that. Fortunately, Silvia couldn't understand that she was crying. She thought it was just water.

Her eyes didn't have the power to see, but there surely was a soft and wet part in her heart that could make her faulty eyes see.

She closed her eyes. She was shivering. What sin did she commit?