Chapter Ten

"First Attempt"

"It's been said that you find solace at the place you expected the least."

★♥★♥★

"Just because you talked sense last weekend doesn't mean, I owe you something...now stop eating my head and let me work." Derek hissed as he hung up on Zane.

He sighs and lays back on his black leather chair. Almost a week has passed since Zane made him confront about his perplexity towards Iris and since that very day, he was like a fish without water gasping for every breath.

No matter what he did, her thoughts made their way to him, into his head. She was there in his dreams, in his thoughts 24/7. No one has had ever effected him to such an extent. How her smirk, her smile, her glistening eyes affected him, and how she held the capability to turn herself into a stone in just a blink of an eye. How fluctuating her demeanor was, her emotions -an altogether different thing. How she concealed her emotions from the world, how she acted as if nothing can get through her, how she hid behind those steely eyes of hers. At one moment her eyes holds a glint of amusement and a spark of love where at the other, they turned into something that you couldn't quite decipher, as if something was trying to resurface but she pushed it back before it happened.

Who she is and what she is hiding, was a big question to him and the biggest of all being, why is she affecting him so much?

After all these years, he dreamt of something other than his mother's lifeless body in his arms. He dreamt of her; her glistening eyes and her breathtaking smile.

All these things about her started making him anxious and inquisitive.

A knock on his door brought him back from the thoughts of Iris that was consuming his mind, fully.

"Come in..." He said and indulged himself into his work again.

"Sir, your coffee's here."
A male in his mid twenties, in fitted black suit and properly combed and gelled hair walked in. He placed the coffee cup he brought, on Derek's table.

Derek gave him a nod and got back to his work, again.

"Um...Sir?" he started again.

"Yeah..." Derek said without even sparing him a glance.

"There's this opening of Mr. & Mrs. Lancaster's Art Gallery. You have been invited and I think you should to attend."

Derek averted his gaze from his laptop, his blue eyes looked tired and they sported black bags under them, his hair was disheleved, his coat was on the couch and his tie was loosened. He rubbed his face with his hand and then moved them to his hair.

"Well, thanks for reminding Jack. And besides this, I have mailed you all the details for the charity event with Mrs Jackson. Do remember to forward her all the details and let me know when the events will start and handle my schedule during this period. Call Maya and ask her to drop a suit to my penthouse."

Derek said as he stood up from his chair and moved towards the couch.

"I am leaving, now. Let me know if something important comes up. Okay?" He continued and left the office taking the coffee from the table.

Before closing the door after him, he turned again and shot a smile at this Jack guy,

"And thanks for the coffee, Jack."

"Its my job sir."

Derek gave him a nod and went out.
Jack nodded too, and left after him.

♥★♥