Chapter Sixteen

"Smile: An effortless curve"

"Nothing is permanent in life except the memories of the people you love or loved"

★♥★

"And I want you to smile...."

Iris sighed as she sat straight and looked out of the window of her apartment. Time just flew away like a soft breeze, without signifying its arrival or departure. That's what happened, a week had passed but his words remained imprinted in her mind as if he just said it a moment ago.

She laid down back again on the couch and stared at the ceiling, as the darkness stared her back. She clenched her eyes and held the pillow tightly to her chest.

Nothing is permanent in life except the memories of the people you love or have loved. You should smile often Iris, because that's the only thing I want to remember if ever comes a time when I have to stay away from you.

She tried it. As she recall it, all of it, she tried to smile, she tried to form that curve on her lips but something...something wasn't right at the moment, she opened her eyes and sighed.

She realised that she doesn't have a reason to smile.

She sat up again and moved her hand to the back of her neck and unclasped the lock of the chain she was wearing.

"I smiled because I had reasons. I smiled because I had you to made me smile, but with you everything is gone, even the reasons.'' She murmured.

''But what about Derek? He certainly made you smile, no matter how much you deny it.''
Her conscience stated.

''Derek Christopher is no one and will always be that to me. That guy, any guy, deserves someone better than Me.''

'Isn't he the one who should decide that?'

'Aren't you a part of me? Aren't you supposed to think like I am doing? And not like someone who opposes me on everything.'

'I am the reasonable one, you stupid. It's you who is constantly punishing yourself for the deeds you aren't even responsible for.'

She shook her head and stood to get a water bottle from the refrigerator.

As she closes the door of the fridge, her sight fells upon an invitation card stuck on her refrigerator.

'You are cordinally invited to the fundraiser Masquerade Ball.
It's time to think for the future of this generation.
So come join us raise a toast for the Future.'

Sunshine Corporation
Date: X-X-0X
Venue: Hamilton Hotels
Time: 20:00 hours

''What the hell?'' Iris murmured and moved towards the couch.
Before she could reach the couch, the door bell of her apartment rang.
She furrowed her eyebrows.

"Who is it?" She asked to herself as moved towards the door to open it.
She went to the door and saw through the peephole. It was Helen.

She opened the door and stepped aside to let her in.

"I am so sorry ma'am. I forgot to remind you of the Fundraiser at the Hamilton Hotels."

Iris shook her head and motioned her to come in.