Chapter Twenty One

"Almost kiss?"

"In that moment the time had ceased until he blinked his eyes."

"Oh!" He said, scratching the back of his neck.

"I am so sorry..." he continued looking all flushed with embarrassment.

"Never mind. I am here to play cupid that I always wanted to play as you know, it had been in my bucket list which I made-" she looked at Derek and bit her tongue, "Oh sorry! I completely got off the track..." She waved nonchalantly.
"See, I am here to end that little misunderstanding and that quarrel between you two. So that you guys could have your happily ever-after and a good ending and other people like me, could enjoy that. And I could live in heaven, happily too. Without any tensions for that imbecile bitch." She said and then grinned at Derek.

"Okaaay... Thanks Veronica, but I don't think that's needed. She is not interested in me, and I-"

"And you are so interested in her that the moment I introduced myself as Iris's friend, your gaze instantly searched for her in the crowd."

He flushed and looked away.

"You don't need to be shy about it Mr. Cocky millionaire, that wasn't what I've heard about you..."

He looked at her in confusion,
"Did she talk about me?"

"Mr. Millionaire, first of all, I can't leak the things we talk about to any outsider or to any third person, but... then you are not an outsider or the third person, you are the person of this story so I could tell you that... So, yes she talked a lot about you..."

"She said she..." Derek asked.

"See. That's why I am here..." She pointed at herself, "To clear all the misunderstandings between you two.
Derek, look I know what she told you. I know she told you that she is in love bu-"

"Veronica, it's not necessary. I am giving her the space that she wanted. I was actually making her a lot uncomfortable, I became the reason for her distress."

"Ohkaaay. You certainly are a saint type guy, goody two shoes type of guy..." Veronica shook her head and sighed as Derek watched her.
"Look, I did not come from Hampton to watch my friend and you, playing polar opposite games with each other. I came here so that I could help you and inject some sense into her. So listen to me first." Veronica said as her voice turned hard and serious.
"She is naive and reluctant to accept the truth of her life. She told you that she loves someone, didn't she?"
Before Derek could reply she answered it herself, "She lied, she lied about it. Do you know what it is like when you first time falls in love with someone, the first of everything and the first time when your heart breaks? You feel like your whole world got shattered, like a broken glass. That's what happened to her but the only difference was that he never broke her heart, his absence did, it broke her soul... he left her."
The tears rose at the back of her eyes as she recalled all those dreary nights when Iris stayed wide awake thinking only about Shane.

She cleared her throat as she saw Derek's astounded expression.

She composed herself and a falter smile formed on her face.

"Look, I don't have that much time because if she sees me talking to you, then I am a dead girl."

Derek cleared his throat and aspired to say something but found himself at the loss of words.